Is this normal???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuitarFreak1857

Fully Optimized
I just got a new laptop which i'm happy about :) it's this:

Newegg.com - ASUS M50 Series M50Vm-B2 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T9400(2.53GHz) 15.4" Wide SXGA+ 4GB Memory DDR2 800 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS - Laptops / Notebooks

The only downside is vista :( I have a widget that monitors CPU usage and RAM usage and it shows vista constantly using 1+GB of memory. I don't understand this at all. Is this normal? My XP 64bit uses way less, with a lot of programs open. The only things running on the laptop are AVG and Sidebar, and then the other utilities (i.e wireless, ect). Can anyone tell me what's going on?

~thanks!

that is perfectly normal, ram companies weren't lieing when they went on about how much memory vista actually uses :p is it using that much memory idle or when runnning or loading Apps?

Vista has prefetch. Prefetch is good. Unused memory is wasted memory.

Just to elaborate on prefetch if you don't know what it is...it's where recently used programs are kept in memory, so when they are opened up again, they load much faster.

And Veedub pretty much summed it up: Unused memory is wasted memory. Vista uses RAM much more efficiently than XP does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom