Is this a legal work around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know for a fact that Retail serials are not tied. Cause i am not issued seperate serials for x86 and x64 version of Vista thru MSDN. I am given a single serial which will work on either version. the DVD's i download are Retail DVD's and contain both versions. It was only recently that they seperated them cause of SP1. But even so if you have a DL Burner you can get a All in One DVD that has both versions.

XP it did matter as well. Cause XP X64 was based off of Server 2003 which used a different serial algorithm than XP 32 Bit did.

I am checking now if OEM is specifically tied to a specific version or not.

I havent heard back. Many are at CES right now and i most likely wont hear back till after it is finished for the day.

In relation to the original question, technically, wouldn't it be an upgrade to Ultimate from Home Premium? :rolleyes: (Just a little bit longer of an install process? If I recall correctly There was some kind of upgrade process (step up process) that you could do if you had a lower version of Vista and wanted to go to Ultimate. (i.e. basic to ultiamte)

I apologize. Thank you for correcting me Mak. The 32bit vs 64bit thread was not super clear about the video ram but I found corroborating articles. A day without learning in not a day well spent.

Do you mind if i put that in my sig?

In relation to the original question, technically, wouldn't it be an upgrade to Ultimate from Home Premium? :rolleyes: (Just a little bit longer of an install process? If I recall correctly There was some kind of upgrade process (step up process) that you could do if you had a lower version of Vista and wanted to go to Ultimate. (i.e. basic to ultiamte)

No because that is not going thru the Anytime Upgrade process.;)

the only good thing about having vista ultimate is the bragging rights :D also dream scene. but that can be found online for like xp too i think.

here's the deal.

yes you can do that workaround. it's legal too.

the issue really was ms didn't intend you to use it that way. you save money on a upgrade cd as oppose to a regular cd if you already had an OS. you do have one. vista. ms didn't think that people would do it that way. they though that you would upgrade it from xp, me,2000 or something.

it is legal because you are upgrading your OS. ms just doesn't like it. who really cares what they think.

that said you can get 64 bit from ms. I post the link plenty of times. just give them your serial number. vista 32 and 64 bit key work on both and you can run both at the same time in a dual boot setup. they will let you because some people don't like 64 and they will go back to 32. they don't have no way of really telling if you are running both at the same time.

edit. here's microsuck changing their mind (it changes like the weather) again. they now have a minimal fee included. it shouldn't be too much. you used to have to pay for just shipping

Windows Vista Alternate Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom