Is there any sort of file manager similar to Gmail's "labels"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veovis_111

Beta member
Gmail has a brilliant system of organizing emails called labels. A file can only belong to one traditional "folder" at a time, but in Gmail, a message can have several labels, effectively occupying multiple folderspaces.

Is there ANY sort of file management built into any O/S (or available as a 3rd party file manager) which can do this? It does not seem that difficult, but nobody seems to be doing it. I heard Vista would have it, but it doesn't appear to. It has "tags" which are a similar concept, but they alter the actual file properties (rather than just filing them), and they only work on certain file types. I heard OSX has it, but I don't know anything about Macs (though if it was part of OSX, I'd go find myself a copy of OSx86).

I have a large folder with 2000 subfolders, and a grouping of 600 of those folders are important to me in a certain way... I want to have those 600 available without removing them (or copying them) from the "main" 2000-folder directory. I can think of no other way to do this...

Symlinks, maybe?

*NIX have Symlinks, so everything but Windows. Actually, I dunno if Windows has symlinks or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom