Is there a free detailed WiFi finder for XP Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I have an XP Pro SP3 laptop. I have to do some mapping with our existing wireless network in the school district I work at.

We have 1 main console switch that all of the access points plug into via ethernet. These are Power-Over-Ethernet (POE) switches, so the ethernet wire is all the connectivity they get and need.

We're having a problem with them not talking to one another and handing off properly. The first step I need to do is match up the appropriate MAC addresses with the location of the access points.

What I need is to be on my laptop and to see a detailed radar of the signal strength I have. I'd also like to be able to view the MAC address of the current AP I am connected to. That way if I walk far enough to be dropped off one AP, but pick up another, I want to see the exchange between MAC addresses. That way I can document where signal strength stops and where it starts for the EXACT access points I am dealing with.

I don't mean to be all "I need I need I need... and for free!" but if there isn't a product that exists like this I'll have to find another means of doing this.

Also - Now that I think about it, I could also handle doing this with Ubuntu as well. If there's a program for Ubuntu or XP Pro that'll do this, let me know! Thanks.

You can try NetStumbler.com but I am not sure if it has a GUI which will map networks. I USED to know of something that would do this, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom