Is It Illegal To .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisgill369

In Runtime
Use images off google images for things like sigs and wallpapers etc. Because ive been doing this alot recently, just cutting out a pic and using it in a sig/wallpaper and just wandered whether its allowed or not.

It is illegal unless the owner of the image or someone authorized has given you permission to use it.

Yes, even with that. Valve may allow the use of the image under certian terms. If you follow them, you're OK. With promotional images like that, its unlikley Valve will care. Usualy the copyright holders look the other way unless you try to profit from the images, or use them to somehow defame them.

C.Ingram said:
Yes, even with that. Valve may allow the use of the image under certian terms. If you follow them, you're OK. With promotional images like that, its unlikley Valve will care. Usualy the copyright holders look the other way unless you try to profit from the images, or use them to somehow defame them.

actually spoofing is covered under fair use of a company's trademark.

And also, as long as you don't intend to sell, claim that you made the design, or use it as your own company logo it is all perfectly legal under copyright laws.

If you intend to take others works, use them, and post it on the net, it is customary to either 1) email them to tell them you are using it 2) Give them credits in your work

Hackerman said:
actually spoofing is covered under fair use of a company's trademark.
Spoofing, yes. Defamation, is questionable.

And also, as long as you don't intend to sell, claim that you made the design, or use it as your own company logo it is all perfectly legal under copyright laws.
That depends on exactly what it is. A trade mark can be used in a lot of situations. The image linked above isn't a trademark (although it does contain up to 4).

If you are looking for a good picture database that is free, and you are allowed to use the pics for editing, etc, go to http://www.sxc.hu/

It's a really extensive site, and is layed out really well.

also not to mention but i believe that they don't normally go after the little people like ur not gunna get fined or taken to court for ur sig or background b/c that would just be a waste of their time

well i was gonna make a website though as a kind of portfolio thing for my graphics work. But these wallpapers etc are not going to be all mine in that respect.

If you are looking for a good picture database that is free, and you are allowed to use the pics for editing, etc, go to http://www.sxc.hu/

thanks for that, taking a look now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom