is associates + certifications enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocco

Beta member
is an associates degree in network technology + certifications, enough to easily earn a good living in the IT career?

i dont know how your system works down there, but i know plenty of friends who earn good money with a Network Engineering Diploma. But its really who you know and what kind of connections you have. if you have none youll be stuck behind a support desk for a long time lol

everyday there are job openings for network adminstrator, system admin, etc.

a lot of these openings ask for either BS in computer science, or experience...

I was hoping there is a educational plan I could implement that can bring me to a high paying job with just an associates degree + certifications. And if this could be achieved in less than 5 years...?

It's hit or miss. As sniper mentioned alot of times its connections and who you know.

On the other hand when you apply they almost always put requirements that exceed their expectations. Apply anyway, what can they do? say no? Not call you? Your biggest battle will be getting an interview or past the interview with HR. They're usually not technical and look at what you have on paper. If you can get past HR then the next interview is usually the one that matters. Normally its with a person technically oriented who you will need to impress with your geekism.

It sucks though in our field how virtually anything can be learned on the internet that you need to spend valuable time and money on certifications that are under your level of knowledge and will probably not help you personally (only inthe job market)

If you are talking big money, Now days an Associate degree is looked at as H.S diploma. A BS degree is the norm and Masters is the "well Qualified." Even in the IT world. As mentioned before you will have to get past HR w/ the information that is on paper. Unfortunately, they will be looking for a BS w/ certs or higher.
Unless you have some type of connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom