Internets Blazing fast on laptop, slow on desktop.

spikoman69

Daemon Poster
So my roomates Apple Timecapsule/Airport blew out from a power surge (Expensive apple garbage) and we reverted to my older, yet usable, wireless G Netgear router. I can get 30MBIT+ down when I run speed test hard wired into the router, and about 15MBIT over wireless with my laptop. However, my desktop has been deathly slow with the new router, speedtest ALWAYS gives me at or below 1MBIT down, but still gives me our full ~5MBIT upload speeds. I've been playing with some settings, reinstalling my PCI-E network card and other things but no luck fixing my download speed. Any advice? This is really starting to annoy me.

I have found online speedtests to be inconsistent. Sometimes when the servers become loaded, they give very inconsistent results. For example, the one closest to me usually gives 2-10mbps, while the next furthest one nearly always gives me 28-35mbps.

On the desktop, try other servers or a different website to be sure its the desktop that is at fault, and not the website.
Speakeasy Speed Test
Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

I went ahead and ran several servers and all of them still gave me under 1MBIT. Sitting right next to my desktop with my laptop, im hitting 20MBITs at the moment. There has to be something that is restricting my bandwidth on the tower. Only thing I can think of it that my wireless NIC and router have issues with one another? Because my tower used to get awesome bandwidth with the wireless G Apple Airport.

Back
Top Bottom