Internet Issue - Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashedpumpkins

In Runtime
Okay I'm stumped. Currently I have a Motorolla cable modem and a Buffalo Wireless G router setup. I've been using the internet wireless on my laptop with no issues. I've also been using a Linksys Wireless Adapter for my desktop. (Not too sure why since the router and modem are right here)

Anyways... The Linksys Wireless Adapter died on me. It's a wireless USB N adapter. Instead of dealing with that issue I decided I'd just run an ethernet wire from the router into my PC.

Reguardless of what I do the Local Area Connectino 3 says limited connection and won't get online. I've tried cycling the modem and pc by turning everything off. I disabled/enabled the connection. Tried to diagnose and repair. Reset the IP. Finally I just tried ipconfig /release and /renew.

When I tried ipconfig /renew I received the following error. (Note, I'm on Vista and I am running as an administrator)

"C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occured while renewing interface Local Area connection 3 : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
An error occured while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The system cannot find the file specified."

Before I got this error I was given another one that said "No operation can be performed on Local Area connection 4 while it has its medai disconnected." I disabled this connection and got the above error.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

EDIT: Okay I just tried to connect to my router using the lan address 192.168.11.1 and it will not work. Page cannot be displayed. Now on my laptop where I'm connected VIA wireless I can connect to the router or the internet without issues. Any ideas?

Sounds like either wrong TYPE of cable, or a BAD cable. (Worst case could be a bad port).

What is the light status of both the router, and the laptop? On the laptop, there should be LED's in 2 corners of the ethernet port... Usually, 1 is for connection, and 1 is for activity. I THINK. Not 100%. Link light can be amber or green, (not sure if there is a standard for this or not), but on some, amber solid would be connected @ 100 Mbps, green would be connected at 1000 Mbps. Blinking LED is for activity. Again, I can't confirm the color of the LED's, but I know that is how some of my network equipment is at home.
On the router side of the connection, there should be SOME kind of activity light on the router, and there SHOULD be some kind of legend within the print materials (or digital in PDF form if it came with a disc and no manuals) that indicates what different lights mean.

If you have NO LIGHTS at either end, then that means there is NO PHYSICAL connection between the laptop and the router. It COULD be a port on either side is bad, laptop port, or router port, but it is more likely that the cable is bad.

Try a different port on the router.
If that doesn't work, INSPECT the ports at each end for bent pins.
If the pins look fine, take both ends of the cable, and hold them in your hands, right next to eachother, so that you can see the individual wires inside the RJ-45 endcap. Make sure that the little disconnect clip is facing AWAY from you. Compare the colors of your cable to the following page, and report back:

The Internet Centre - Ethernet Cable - Color Coding Diagram

Sounds like either wrong TYPE of cable, or a BAD cable. (Worst case could be a bad port).

What is the light status of both the router, and the laptop? On the laptop, there should be LED's in 2 corners of the ethernet port... Usually, 1 is for connection, and 1 is for activity. I THINK. Not 100%. Link light can be amber or green, (not sure if there is a standard for this or not), but on some, amber solid would be connected @ 100 Mbps, green would be connected at 1000 Mbps. Blinking LED is for activity. Again, I can't confirm the color of the LED's, but I know that is how some of my network equipment is at home.
On the router side of the connection, there should be SOME kind of activity light on the router, and there SHOULD be some kind of legend within the print materials (or digital in PDF form if it came with a disc and no manuals) that indicates what different lights mean.

If you have NO LIGHTS at either end, then that means there is NO PHYSICAL connection between the laptop and the router. It COULD be a port on either side is bad, laptop port, or router port, but it is more likely that the cable is bad.

Try a different port on the router.
If that doesn't work, INSPECT the ports at each end for bent pins.
If the pins look fine, take both ends of the cable, and hold them in your hands, right next to eachother, so that you can see the individual wires inside the RJ-45 endcap. Make sure that the little disconnect clip is facing AWAY from you. Compare the colors of your cable to the following page, and report back:

The Internet Centre - Ethernet Cable - Color Coding Diagram

The laptop works great with my wireless. It's my desktop having the issue. The light is a solid green by the port on the desktop and is also solid green on the router. I've tried two different ethernet wires with the same issue.

The lights on the front of the router are all normal and say connected. I tried slot 1 and slot 4 on my router. Both gave the same issue.

Okay my cable shows orange, orange, green, blank, blank, green, blank, and blank.
Okay the other is orange, white, green, blank, blank, half green and white, blank blank.

Same order.

So.... there are only 4 wires inside of the cable? That is interesting. Do you have another cable you can try?

So.... there are only 4 wires inside of the cable? That is interesting. Do you have another cable you can try?

Okay I decided to test this out. Currently I have an ethernet wire connected to the cable modem and to the router. This wire has worked fine and has been broadcasting my wireless with no issues at all. I unpluged the wire from the router and plugged it into my desktop. (So now the wire was connected from the cable modem straight into my desktop.) It still did not work same issue. However it connected to Local Area Connection 4 this time instead of 3. There's also an additional blinking light by the port on my Desktop. I tried all the previous methods to get it working, but was unsuccesful. I then connected it into my laptop... Sure enough with a simple reset it was up and running on my laptop with no issues.

I'm still stumped :( Thank you though. I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom