Internet & Download speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fattty

Baseband Member
Im using a Dell mini 10v netbook, with a 54 Mbps wireless network connection from AT&T.
Browsing the web is pretty fast, and youtube videos generally load fast without me having to wait for it to buffer. (excluding HD, HQ, 720p videos). However, if i connect to another wireless network, and get a "low" signal strength and around "1.0 mbps" speed, it is still around the same speed? And even more confusing is that the download speeds for megaupload and other file sharing sites are usually 80-150 kb/s, while i can get 250, 300+ kb/s on the 1mbps network.
So strange! Any answers or explanations for this? (i'm not very computer savvy and im only 14 :p)

Whether the internet you are connected to is rated at 1Mbps or 300Mbps, it depends on the source you are downloading from.

So you can have the fastest internet in the world, but if a website is only uploading at let's say a max of 512kbps, that's the fastest rate you can download a file from that source.

That makes sense, but im talking about downloading from the same source. I did some test by uploading sample videos and files to Megaupload and downloaded it with both networks, getting around the speeds mentioned above.

The download speeds that you mentioned are all below 1Mbps. So both the 54Mbps and 1Mbps wireless networks should be able to download the files at similar speeds.

Doubt I'm going to make any sense here...but maybe the 54Mbps is just how strong your connection is between you and AT&T, and the actual internet speed is slower. As for the other network, it's the actual speed and connected straight to the internet?

So technically both are the same speed, just the AT&T looks higher because you connection to their base is higher, but not directly to the internet.

I know I'm confusing :(, but if you can understand where I'm coming from then it would be easier :(.

Edit: Never mind, think it's answered. I made completely no sense then :(, sucks
Sad_by_nulltarget.gif

Alright, i THINK i get it now. But its just strange. I wish i could download at faster speeds than 80kb/s. :( Stupid At&t sayin 54mbps >:/

It's marketing. It's also the limit of 802.11g. Which is the wireless adapter you must be using. You would rarely, if ever, get to see it download at full speed. That's only if the source uploaded at 54Mbps.

@joelm - At least you tried :)

54Mbps (seems to me exactly as G) is ONLY speed between your notebook and nearest WiFi device - router or access point. It is physical maximum speed. Maximum possible.
Overall speed of transfer is speed of slowest part on the way, in this case I assume that your connection between WiFi router and AT&T is much slower and it is what you can reach.
For example, I'm now on notebook also showing 54Mbps but I know that behind router I'm going 10Mbps which I have from my provider. If I switch over to my neighbor who has 30Mbps from provider I go 30Mbps via his provider. If I connect to another friend who has 90Mbps fiber at home I go 54Mbps since it is then slowest part on the way.
Hope this explained your question.

Thanks all. And under the Dell wireless manager, it shows "b" and "g" next to my home network, and "b", "g", AND "n" under the other network. That must be why. Thanks again. :D

b ... max 11Mbps
g ... max 54Mbps
n ... max 300Mbps
These are differenet WiFi modes, faster = newer and requiring HW to be ready for them. N is latest one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom