Integrated Sound card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess PC Chips doesn't offer any audio drivers. (can't find them)
Try to find out which audio chip you have and download them from a different company. (most are Realtek)

When i was fixing my friends computer (HP pavillion), the audio drivers got deleted. I searched and searched, constintly coming across drivers that said they were for the system. Most of them did not work causing me to look further. My advice, stick with it and you will find them eventually. Even if it is the same file name but on a different site, give it a try. There might have been a problem with the first one you tried.

give us more info on the mother boards. Sulla you said it was pc chips but what model is it. You should be able to find it printed on the board.

The bobb, what board do you have, make and model?

You should be able to find it printed on the board

Yeah it's on the board (didn't like getting to it though), Problem is, why are there so many different types of makes and models that makes everybody wondering it the right drive is used.

I had one computer which had pc chips, I downloaded realtek for it but It didn't work. What I decided to do was to just go to the BIOS set it default then uninstall all drives related to sound.

I started hearing beeps from the motherboard which was a good thing and when windows started (XP) all drives were detected and the right drive was installed. Sound came in clear. Since the sound card was embedded in the motherboard no conflict problem existed.

The other computer I had didn't really have an embedded sound just a simple bell maybe. I didn't know it at the time because since it had all three port (holes) I though it was a full-functional sound card, but it wasn't. I only recognized that after uninstalling all drives related to sound and removing the sound card (yes, this computer had a seperate sound card, which made having an onboard sound card suspicuous because I bought the computer cheap).

So when windows started I heard the same warning tones for any error or warning message that appeared. When I put the sound card back in, all drives were automatically detected but then I noticed there was a conflict with resources. SO I restarted the computer went to BIOS again and this time disabled the 'Game port' thing and AC97 audio. Then I uninstalled the drivers again, restarted and everything was detected. Last problem was that due to removing the speaker cable all the time and switching it from motherboard to sound card, I placed it in the wrong (hole), that problem caused another 20-30 minutes of wasted time, but then it finally worked!!

Counclusion: Troubleshooting is one messy business if you don't have much experience. It took me a week yes, but it's better than taking it to the computer shop.

PcChips Mobo sound

PcChips does have sound drivers, you still haven't stated what PcChips motherboard you have, so whats the bios string?
Here is the PcChips FTP site for sound:
ftp://64.124.27.138/pcchips/Sound/
PcChips used CMedia sound chips in many of their boards!
M5XX boards where all socket 7
M7XX boards are for Intel CPU's
M8XX boards where all AMD CPU's
M9XX boards (M912 thru M921 where 486 boards)
after M921 where the more advanced boards!
If you dont know what board you have, go here and find out
http://www.stud.fernuni-hagen.de/q3998142/pcchips/index.html
You can download bios ID utilties from award & ami
CTbios http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/CTBIOS-Download-913.html
For AMI bios
http://www.ami.com/support/downloadagreement.cfm?DLFile=support/downloads/mbid14.exe&InpDrvID=89
Both of these programs work from windows systems and are safe!

Yeah i found the motherboard type, but guess pentium II is becoming too old, can't find a lot of support for it. Anyway, since windows did detect it i guess i'm fine.

One thing I want to know:
Does the same go for graphic cards and VGA drives? Do i have to go crazy and find the exact drive for the exact motherboard? ANd do i have to do all of this if install linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom