installing 64 bit windows 7

Not just any prescott core could do 64bit, while they was all the same for the most part, Intel decided to lock things so they could introduce them a little later on and increase the prices a bit to get more money.

The only Prescotts that support 64bit (Which still isn't a true 64bit CPU, some 64bit applications will crash or not operate at all) are the following from what I can find.
Prescott-2M
2.8Ghz - 3.8Ghz
Came out on or after Feb 20th 2005
Pentium 4F or later stepping

There is a reason why Intel failed so hard with the P4, it's because they gave a bunch of different things the same name, stayed quiet, and severely overcharged for what they did offer.

I tried finding a list, but couldn't really find one that said which P4's had 64bit support specifically.

Last edited:
Dunno what to say.... even the Newegg site that had sold this chip states that this chip is not a 64 bit support chip
Intel Pentium 4 505 Prescott Single-Core 2.66 GHz LGA 775 BX80547PE2667E Processor - Newegg.com
I agree with Corrosive,
Originally, the Prescott cpu did not have 64 bit functionality, as stated in this article.
Originally, Intel released two Prescott lines: the E-series, with an 800 MT/s FSB and Hyper-Threading support, and the low-end A-series, with a 533 MT/s FSB and Hyper-Threading disabled. Intel eventually added XD Bit (eXecute Disable) and Intel 64 functionality to Prescott.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_4#Prescott

I do not know at what point in time of manufacturing that Intel made the Prescott cpu a 64 bit chip, so if someone were to purchase this particular cpu, they would have really do some checking to be sure that they were actually getting a cpu with 64 bit support

Last edited:
If you check out that wiki web page, you'll see that there are three groupings for the Prescott chip. Which adds to much confusion about which Prescott supports 64 bit. According to wiki:
Intel Family 15 Model 3 (C0,D0), Intel Family 15 Model 4 (E0, G1)
Intel 64: supported by 5x6, 511, and 519K
and...
Intel 64: supported by F-series, 5x1, 517, 524
Intel Family 15 Model 3
E series Prescotts do not have 64 bit support
and....
All 2M Prescotts.
Prescott 2M (90 nm)
Intel Family 15 Model 4
All models support: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, Hyper-Threading, Intel 64
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_4_microprocessors#Prescott_.2890.C2.A0nm.29_2

It's no wonder that AMD was on top back then

Last edited:
Well, I can confirm that the Pentium 4 3.8Ghz SL7P2 is 64bit capable, handled a 64bit install of ubuntu long ago. Sad to say, this is my only P4, and it's never used... Flipping heat AND power monster.

Back
Top Bottom