installed languages/keyboards in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

niknovi

Solid State Member
Hello!

I have three languages installed in Windows XP: Slovenian - my mothertongue, Macedonian (cyrillic) and Sanskrt (devanagari).

I am noticing that almost everytime I switch applications, chosen language/keyboard changes from Slovenian, usually to Macedonian, but sometimes also to Sanskrt. XP should supposedly be adjusting the keyboard based on the application I switch to, but this happens with almost any application, like Word, Total Commander, etc...

Is there any method by which I could prevent automatic language changing?

You should set your region, language and keyboard settings via the control panel and they only switch when you switch them there.

Of course, I did set the Location and Default Input Language, but selected language changes anyway.

Then the programs have the option to select the languages specifically within them and you have to select it via that specific program.

That must be very annoying. Try uninstalling the two other languages, open and close the applications then reboot. When it comes back up install the languages again and see what it does when you open the applications again.

Let me try again, a bit clearer.

I write in Word. Selected language is Slovenian (SL in the languge bar). Then I press Alt+Tab and go into another application, like for instance an Explorer window. When I do that the selected Language changes to Macedonian (MK in the language bar). If I press Alt+Tab to go to some other program, language changes again... (not always, but most of the times). I have defined keywords in the language settings, so that I can easily switch back to Slovenian, but it is tedious to do that for every few programs I switch to. These programs are just ordinary programs, there is no option in Word or Explorer to select a language (at least I think so).

OS is simply trying to be too smart.

OK so you're probably hitting the change language quick key by accident, I recommend switching that off. I don't have any remaining XP installs (or any Windows for that matter) but from memory there is a check box in control panel -> keyboard and language near the bottom.

Yes there is options within Word to select the language. There also is in explorer as well. I already mentioned it. But you can have a different language selected. The problem is the Language Bar and the Language shortcuts you have operational. They are affecting the operation of the system. Not the language packs itself or the OS. Disable the Language Bar or remove the shortcuts.

I can't remove those languages, if I would not need them, then I would not installed them. Sometimes I do need to write in Macedonian (Македонски) or I write a few Sanskrt phrases in correspondence (संस्क्र्त). I am not hitting the keys by accidence (Left Alt + Shift + 8, Left Alt + Shift + 9, Left Alt + Shift + 0).

I will observe a little, how and when the language switching occurs precisely, and will get back later. Thanks for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom