Install New Version but keep old version

wessteven

Beta member
HI! I am trying to find a way to install a new version of software without un-installing the old version. I need to use both versions for different things, but when I try to install the new version, windows installer always wants to de-install the old version first. Does anyone know a way to get around this? I want to be able to use both versions. Thankyou!

Wes

It is going to depend on the software. Some software doesnt allow for 2 versions of the same software to be installed and operate at the same time. They can and might conflict with each other. So if Windows id trying to uninstall the old version first, that means that they have their installer setup to remove old versions first due to this restraint. I would contact the developers and see if the app can be run in 2 instances to begin with before you go and try to force something to happen that can cause adverse affects on your system.

Ok, the thing is: Another guy here has somehow got both versions installed on his laptop and they both work flawlessly. He did it by accident and doesn't know how to do it again. The program uses MSI (Microsoft Installer (or whatever it is)) so i was wondering if there was a way to trick msi into thinking there isn't a previous version. Thanks///

Ok, the thing is: Another guy here has somehow got both versions installed on his laptop and they both work flawlessly. He did it by accident and doesn't know how to do it again. The program uses MSI (Microsoft Installer (or whatever it is)) so i was wondering if there was a way to trick msi into thinking there isn't a previous version. Thanks///

also, thanks alot K

There is no way to trick the msi. You will have to find and executable form of the installer. One that has a .exe and not a .msi extension.

That would be the only way it is possible.

Perhaps you could find a converter? Just spit balling ideas here but I have noticed there are a lot of converters for EXE. So .bat to .exe or .inf to exe etc. Perhaps we might find one for msi. I'll have a look.

There is no way to trick the msi. You will have to find and executable form of the installer. One that has a .exe and not a .msi extension.

That would be the only way it is possible.

Thanks you very much K, i will contact the supplier, I'm sure they can send me an exe version easily. You have been incredibly helpful, thanks again!

Wes

Ps. Luke127, no. But thanks anyway...

Back
Top Bottom