Install Linux Red Hat 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

pao_pao

Baseband Member
somebody help me... i have xp os & i want to install linux in another partition. can u provide me steps/ procedure on how to do this. thanks.

my available installer is red hat 8. is the installation the same? thanks in advance.

I don't know the difference, but I know that the isntaller in Fedora Core 4 is very easy to use. It's all graphical based, I think it is with Red Hat as well though.

The one thing I do not like about Fedora Core 4 is that it's file managment is terrible, scattered and hard to find things. That is a simple problem to remedy though. Although it seems like they also wanted to make Fedora Core and Red Hat a more public enterprise type of thing, much like Windows...I am not a big fan of that.

Anyways, once you find out which you want, we can help you with the Partitions and the installation all we need to know is your system specs.

DO NOT INSTALL THE BOOTLOADER TO THE MBR! In RedHat/Fedora Core, i don't know why, but it overwrites the NTLOADEr. So, you can't get into your Windows install and you'll have to restore the MBR using the recover console in XP. All distros do this, except one, Debian. Debian and Debian based distors chain the NTLOADER. Make a separate boot partitiong as /boot to 100mb. Then install LILO or Grub on to the /boot partition. Then make a boot floppy or use a Linux live disk like feather to make a dd= if= .bin image and then get that on to the Windows partition some how. Then add an entry into your boot.ini and have NTLOADER point to GRUB/Lilo using that image.

I would really recommend using Fedora Core 4 or SuSE for that matter, because it would make things alot easier. FC4 is newer and woul have more driver suppport where as the RH8 prolly uses an older kernel and won't have hardware support.

TSHF calm down you can use the boot loader Fedora gives you with your Windows OS. Yes they both use the Anaconda installer it's all graphical and easy. Redhat is stable, Fedora is the newest technologies that are stable and will eventually make their way into Redhat. Go with Fedora it's nearly identical but newer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom