Infected with Conficker! HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah my system is far beyond screwed up :D

Anyways, i'll do as you told me, but is it really necessary to go up to SP3?
I remember SP3 and I didn't like some of its features etc but if you tell me it's really necessary, I'll install it. And I'll install AVG Free too, thats what I had before Nod32 and Avira AntiVir. Thanks for that, I'll keep you posted if there is anything I need.

Just one last thing though, will Windows Update tell me what drivers i need to install or will I manually need to go to asus.com etc different websites to get the updates? Is there any software I can get that would tell me what drivers need updating and etc?

Also do you suggest making 2 partitions (C: and D:) or just one??

Thanks,
Daniel :happy:

Yes SP3 and IE7. If you dont have those installed along with the updates after installing them, you are not 100% patched, better to be safe then sorry.

Well first off you will need the NIC drivers to even be able to access Windows Update. WU may have the drivers you need but its best to get them from ASUS if possible.

Yeah my system is far beyond screwed up :D

Anyways, i'll do as you told me, but is it really necessary to go up to SP3?
I remember SP3 and I didn't like some of its features etc but if you tell me it's really necessary, I'll install it. And I'll install AVG Free too, thats what I had before Nod32 and Avira AntiVir. Thanks for that, I'll keep you posted if there is anything I need.

Just one last thing though, will Windows Update tell me what drivers i need to install or will I manually need to go to asus.com etc different websites to get the updates? Is there any software I can get that would tell me what drivers need updating and etc?

Also do you suggest making 2 partitions (C: and D:) or just one??

Thanks,
Daniel :happy:

C: for the OS and D: for Backup

Ok thanks mate. I'm in the process of formatting now, after I do i'll get the updates from asus. Will post up if theres anything else, thanks for your help thus far.:)

Daniel

I see that AVG Free lacks certain things. Can you suggest anything that I could use alongside AVG Free? Such as a firewall and some other extra protection software?

Trust me, you will be just fine without the firewall, etc.

Use/enable the Windows XP Firewall if you really need one. :cool:

Make sure you have Malwarebytes loaded, the paid version of MB uses Real Time Scanning if your interested.

Not to interrupt, Osiris, but I have been very interested in reading all these posts for this poor guy's resolution of this problem. Do you mean to say here that anyone (not just the OP) would do well to run Malwarebytes on an ongoing basis ? I know it was suggested in your Spyware Removal Guide, but do you suggest pc users in general should run it ? Thanks in advance ;)

Yup, the paid version runs well also. This is good especially for users who like to venture into unknown areas on the net, regulary infecting themselves.:cool:

It's good but its not 100% effective, this is why the need of more then one removal program is needed.

Hi ONCE AGAIN. I'm back, and this time, I'm just MAD. I'm sick of this, really.

I formatted my PC 3 times, and each time, I still get the same **** virus/worm or whatever.
BEFORE I even downloaded anything or connected my external drives (Which 2 scanners said were 100% clean and still I didn't plug them in) until I got ALL of the updates from Windows (inc SP3 and anything else that was available). I have no updates left to download, I installed AVG Free version and Malwarebytes, and I was running fine for 2 days. This morning I wake up and there that **** error is again,

Data Execution Prevention has closed this program to protect your computer:

Userinit logon application.

A few minutes before this happened AVG reported some malicous software or whatever in C:/WINDOWS. I clicked Heal and it said it could not heal or move to vault. So AVG was able to do nothing. After that, now, I just keep on getting the same errors and cannot login. AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Also, i just got another one of those EXTREMELY annoying Overclocking failed! Press F1 to enter bios setup etc, and when I did that, I decided to try default settings and the PC freezes. I don't get it. Before I had any of these problems, 2 weeks ago, my pc worked fine with my BIOS settings, and I solved BSOD problems with them. Now, i get overclocking failed with those settings, and the PC freezes with defaults.

2 problems at once, WHAT THE **** SHALL I DO!!!! PLEASE HELP I AM MAD !!!

Ok so my friend who happens to have certificates in different IT sectors has told me to format once again and use Norton Endpoint as an AV and that AVG would not be able to stop this ''rootkit''. so I've formatted my desktop and am downloading norton endpoint; i'll scan my external drives with it and install it on the desktop then install all the windows updates. I hope I'll solve it soon. Will keep you posted.

Update: I scanned my external drive with Norton Endpoint and unlike the other 3 antiviruses that I scanned it with (Clamwin AV + Nod32 + AVG) It found 4 Viruses. W32.Virut.CF is the name of the virus it found which apparently infected some of my random files on the USB (Which I transferred to my desktop after previous formats) and Norton Endpoint cleaned those viruses.

I am now rescanning the external drive to make sure it is clean. Can you provide me any information about W32.Virut.CF and how i can protect myself from it in the future, and if there is anything I can do IN CASE the Virus is still not cleaned from the USB.?

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom