In urgent need of help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inglorious

Beta member
Hi.
I have recently run into a major problem.
When I log into my main computer account nothing responds. I try to click icons but nothing happens. When I put my mouse pointer on the start-bar, an egg-timer is displayed. No matter how long the computer is left for, it still displays this egg-timer.
Sometimes when I log-in, Avast (my av) tells me it detected trojans/malware on my pc. It lets me delete them but this doesnt fix anything. I have tried running a boot-up Anti-Virus scan but this hasnt helped either.

I have managed to get into the Guest side of my pc and it responds. But Im afraid to log-out incase I cant get back in.
I have ran HiJack-This but I cant scan the files on my main account from my Guest account.

Can someone please give me a suggestion as to what to do?

I am on a DELL pc, with 1GB of RAM, approx 30GB hard-disk, a nVidia-GeForce 128MB video card, and a Pentium4 Processor.

log into your account and see if you can access msconfig from start, run, type msconfig. Go to startup and click disable all and reboot and then scan with hijack this and post the log if you can.

Thanks for the suggestions, but no luck.
I tried running in network safe mode, but my pc was still non-responsive.
I then tried to get into msconfig, which I managed to do. I disabled all of the start-up options but this didnt work either as when I rebooted the pc was still non-responsive.

Some extra Information: When I try to log-out of my account I get a messages entitled "Deleting...". The message says:
"Windows is currently working with a file.
Either close this file or wait for windows to finish."
It's something like that anyway. No matter how long I wait, nothing happens.
Also, in my task-manager, I have a process called "Idle System Process", this takes up 99 on my CPU.

Any more suggestions would be great.
I dont really have any valuable files on my PC, so I would be willing to completely reformat if that would solve my problem.

Please help.

to me, that is your best and safest option unless you want to troubleshoot it. Can you scan your system with hijack this?

No, I can-t run hijack this. Even if I could, I wouldn't be able to delete the offending files.

If I reformat my PC, will it be returned to factory condition?
And how do I reformat it?

Thanks for your help Warez Monster.

Inglorious said:

I dont really have any valuable files on my PC, so I would be willing to completely reformat if that would solve my problem.

if you don't have any important files, go ahead and format and reinstall

did your computer come with an xp installation cd?

put that in the drive, boot from the cd, then just follow the setup...

format the hd(this kills the problem) then continue with the install

once windows is reinstalled it will be like new, or as you said "factory condition"

Latly Dell and other prebuilt companies have not been including thier XP discs with the computer.

A reformat will delete all information on the drive.

It is best to delete partition first, then reformat then reinstall.

Just Like Warez Monster and Juice Daddy said. Reinstall the os. Don't necessarily need a dell copy of XP to reinstall windows. just make sure if you have an XP Home Key that you're installing a copy of XP Home.

Everyone has that system idle process in their in task manager. If you're not doing anything it should say 99%.

When you install XP, make a second partition so you can store important files there. It's saves the frustration of loosing files.

Inglorious said:
No, I can-t run hijack this. Even if I could, I wouldn't be able to delete the offending files.

If I reformat my PC, will it be returned to factory condition?
And how do I reformat it?

Thanks for your help Warez Monster.

How do you know you wouldnt be able to delete it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom