Improving Wireless

garryhart

Beta member
Hi all.

I have just had my Virgin Broadband upgraded to 60mb and had need hub installed today. Problem is that the router is located at the front of my house (bungalow) but our main computer/laptop use is at the back of the house (living room). I have a develo wireless booster (plug into the mains type) but am only getting 1-2mb on this.

Apart from getting my access point moved to the back of the house, any ideas on how to improve the signal?

Thanks

Last edited:
just a quick update realised my develo extender plug was plugged into a socket on a different ring main but even so still "only" getting just about 6mb after changing socket.

general guidelines for improving wireless:

move closer to the ap.

remove obstacles.

change wireless channels.

install the latest drivers and firmware.

change frequencies.

change wireless technology (b/g/n)

Hi all.

I have just had my Virgin Broadband upgraded to 60mb and had need hub installed today. Problem is that the router is located at the front of my house (bungalow) but our main computer/laptop use is at the back of the house (living room). I have a develo wireless booster (plug into the mains type) but am only getting 1-2mb on this.

Apart from getting my access point moved to the back of the house, any ideas on how to improve the signal?

Thanks

did you place the router near concrete walls? concrete really affects transmitting signal, your laptop probably having a hard time getting a signal full signal strength from the router. ( just my personal opinion, im not really an expert into networking but just trying to help :)

cheers!
regards,

Hiro

Back
Top Bottom