Im a tech consultant want to know about Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

techking555

Beta member
Working as a Technology consultant, Currently im involved in a project for a big company. When I sat for the system study, I found complex networking problems, which have to be rectified, you all aware of the duties of the technology consultant. I need to study about troubleshooting systems. And also the procedures that a tech consultant adopt while troubleshooting. Any guidance here is appreciated as I m in a critical position to solve this issue urgently.

okay, sure! ill help you out! in fact, i just so be happen to be holding a lecture in my bath tub tomorrow at 11:00AM, so come along if your free!

Step 1: Get a Net+ exam prep book
Step 2: Get a CCNA exam prep book
Step 3: Read both.
Step 4: Repeat step 3 as often as needed.
Step 5: Build your own test network and mess with it.

I can offer as much help as i can give... ive taken the ccna course so i know a decent amount about basic networking.... though if you start asking about security and active directory my help will be minimal

sorry that previous post of mine was a bit random. just post on the forums whenever you encounter something your not sure of.

Step 1: Get a Net+ exam prep book
Step 2: Get a CCNA exam prep book
Step 3: Read both.
Step 4: Repeat step 3 as often as needed.
Step 5: Build your own test network and mess with it.

superdave thanks for your reply and solutions, i will just read those for certification, as a technology consultant i need to address this issues asap. I need a fast tutorials online about networking where can i get that.

What are some of the issues you need to handle? There is lots of talent here. I have setup more than a dozen networks myself when I was working as a consultant for a company for a while. Things are differnt for each type of setup. If you are setting up a new clean network from the ground up its pretty easy. If you are going into say a workgroup network and converting it to a domain env it can become very messy real fast.

New networks are easy..as for upgrading networks..all I can say is take lots and lots of notes...and when you think you have logged everything you need to perform the upgrade you have only really begun to disect the current network :)

You need to note current workgroup shares, shared printers, users, who accesses what, how are they doing it, current profiles on the stations, are there other users who use this station and do they have there own profiles, E-Mail accounts, are they running outlook with POP3?, will you be upgrading them from a POP3 to an exchange setup and need to work on the MX records?..etc etc..your goal is to make them not notice any changes...because we know how "they" get. ;-)

What are some of the issues you need to handle? There is lots of talent here. I have setup more than a dozen networks myself when I was working as a consultant for a company for a while. Things are differnt for each type of setup. If you are setting up a new clean network from the ground up its pretty easy. If you are going into say a workgroup network and converting it to a domain env it can become very messy real fast.

New networks are easy..as for upgrading networks..all I can say is take lots and lots of notes...and when you think you have logged everything you need to perform the upgrade you have only really begun to disect the current network :)

You need to note current workgroup shares, shared printers, users, who accesses what, how are they doing it, current profiles on the stations, are there other users who use this station and do they have there own profiles, E-Mail accounts, are they running outlook with POP3?, will you be upgrading them from a POP3 to an exchange setup and need to work on the MX records?..etc etc..your goal is to make them not notice any changes...because we know how "they" get. ;-)

Hi,Win2kpatcher thanks for your information......

If you can pass the CCNA exam you'll do pretty good with networking. It's probably one of the hardest entry level exam and people take it seriously. I suggest you get a Cisco press book on CCNA, I think it's like 2 book each 1000 something pages long. It should prepare you for the network+ and CCNA exam. However you still need hands on experience, therefore get some Cisco equipment or a simulator application to practice on. Some 1900 and 2924 or better yet 2950 switches, 1720, 2500 or 2600 routers will do. Find them on ebay for cheaper, get atleast 2 routers and 2 switches to practice. Also check out ciscokits.com

As of now the 801 will no longer be offer after November 6, 07. The 802 is the new objective available August 15, it focuses more into security and IPv6. So try to find a 640-802 book.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom