Ignorant Wireless Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALWAYS CONFUSED

Beta member
MY NETWORK CONNECTION SHOWS THAT I AM CONNECTED TO A WIRELESS NETWORK. WHEN I OPEN INTERNET BROWSER I CANNOT GET TO THE WEB.

Please don't use all caps. Thats also a bland statment I'll assume you want to know why you can't connect to the web.

First of all I know little because of the first post

are you on a cable connection but shows you have a wireless?
or are you on a wireless that you can't get to work?

This problem is usually a mismatch encryption type or passphrase. I get this all the time when I mistype in the password or the encryption does not match from the client to the router. Give us more detail, did you enable SSID broadcast, what encryption are you using (WEP,WPA,WPA-PSK,WPA2-PSk), what OS, name of router, wireless NIC.

Sorry.

My neighbor has a Netgear router. I have a good signal from inside my house. I can connect to the network using my wireless card but when I attempt to browse the web I just get the Internet Explorer generic error message; "page cannot be displayed.."

Can you ping the default gateway, try to get closer to the wireless router, are you sure you enter the right password and does the encyrption matches, do you know intruding into someone else wireless network without their notice is a federal crime in many state?

I do not know what pinging a default gateway is. How do I check to ensure the encryption matches. The network is unsecured and I have his permission to use his network.

Go into control panel then network connection, right click on your wireless network connection then click properties. Click on the wireless networks tab and at the middle where you see the prefered network (if you are connected it should be there), click properties. At this dialog box at the middle you see the network authentication and select Open in the list and on the bottom at data encryption select disable.

also what ip address is the router giving you? click start then run.
type "cmd" press enter. type "ipconfig /all" and it will show you your ip address also the adress of the router. they should be the same except for the last numbers. ie gateway 192.168.1.x and your computer 192.168.1.xxx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom