If you use 256 AES encryption with a 50 character password how long...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFCJohnSmith

In Runtime
would a brute force attack take to crack the code if you used alpha numeric as well as special symbols?

I have been lead to believe that it would take a super computer many many years to crack but I am not to sure of this so can you please help to shed some light on this.

My reason for wanting to know this is because I used bitlocker and WinZip to encrypt my drives and folders, and they both use AES 256 encryption. I know that every type of security is breakable given time, effort and the will to do it, but what would be the time frame for this scenario.

Regards

AF

Hundreds of years, with current computing technology. Though as computing power increases, that number will lower dramatically. And we'd probably find a way to nullify the encryption before actually decrypting it.

Hundreds of years, with current computing technology. Though as computing power increases, that number will lower dramatically. And we'd probably find a way to nullify the encryption before actually decrypting it.

So would that be for a normal home PC or a super computer that would take so long?

Would the people who created the encryption technolgy have the ability to crack the code much quicker or is it a case of once the encryption is there it is there for everyone?

Isn't it all about the encryption algerthym? Like WEP, it was 128bit, but the encryption was flawed, and easily broke.

So while brute/dictionary cracking was a ong process, the cracked encryption takes seconds now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom