I was wondering if different Network cards can affect ping times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comptech

Baseband Member
I was wondering if different Network cards can affect ping times?

Im currently using some on-board SIS network card, and would like improve ping times for my Unreal Tournament 2004 gaming if possible.

Does it make a difference if I use "on-board" or "add-in" card?

do you guys have a recommended brand of Network card to go with? to get best ping times?

What about the type of cable modem? Im currently using some old toshiba PCX1100U, And I think this crappy modem is causing me to lose internet connection for minutes often, and its really bothering me. Any recommended brand/model for replacement?

What about the type of network cable you use? I have already tried the belkin gold series cable and it dont make a difference from what Im using right now.

Is there any other things I can do that I forgot to mention that can help improve my ping times?

Waiting for replys, thank you. :)

sounds like you got more issues with your provided than what you do with your ISP.

I suggest you contact your ISP tech support about your drop outs as I think your High Ping and Your Constant Drop Out Problems are related.

Comptech said:
Is there any other things I can do that I forgot to mention that can help improve my ping times?
Turn off all unnessary services that use your internet connection while playing.
Eg.
Instant Messager (or what other internet paging services) - It only take one person to page you on MSN or ICQ while you are playing, and then up goes your Ping.

AutoUpdates - Windows / Antivirus / Software Drivers. Turn them off. I know that McAffee and Norton's Auto Updates are a bandwidth whore.

Peer2Peer Clients - Limit your Max Speeds on your Bit Torrent Clients (or any other P2P clients.) In fact, I find that it's best not to use them all all when playing.

Downloading - Don't download stuff while playing. I got some one in our SWG guild that constantly gets DEATH BY LAG as he's downloading pr0n all the time.

Harper said:
sounds like you got more issues with your provided than what you do with your ISP.

I suggest you contact your ISP tech support about your drop outs as I think your High Ping and Your Constant Drop Out Problems are related.

Turn off all unnessary services that use your internet connection while playing.
Eg.
Instant Messager (or what other internet paging services) - It only take one person to page you on MSN or ICQ while you are playing, and then up goes your Ping.

AutoUpdates - Windows / Antivirus / Software Drivers. Turn them off. I know that McAffee and Norton's Auto Updates are a bandwidth whore.

Peer2Peer Clients - Limit your Max Speeds on your Bit Torrent Clients (or any other P2P clients.) In fact, I find that it's best not to use them all all when playing.

Downloading - Don't download stuff while playing. I got some one in our SWG guild that constantly gets DEATH BY LAG as he's downloading pr0n all the time.

Thanks for the advice but your telling me everything I already know and nothing I dont know, But thanks very much anyways.

What is your ping times like first?

Yes a new network card could VERY SLIGHTLY affect ping time, most of the time in a LAN I am 1ms of ping though with any network card.

It veries with different game rooms, I guess ping 50-200, avg 80 I guess.

Maybe I will buy a new network card, Which brand is the best?

80 is not a bad ping.

Intel make very good network cards, but not sure if you will notice the difference

Are you getting any lag? An 80 ping isn't bad at all. If you get another network card, it might lower your ping by a couple ms, but you probably won't notice a difference.

Comptech said:
What if I get a gigabit lan network card, will that help my ping times?
No, because the extra bandwidth provided by gigabit will be choked by your modem. Only thing gigabit will make faster is local network traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom