I-TUNES and AMD CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
I got a few people telling me that I-TUNES does not like RIPPING CDs on an AMD system.
Fact or Fiction?

An what do you do to get around it?

Actually, iTunes doesn't like ripping on AMD, or Intel for that matter. They work okay, but due to the wide variety in processors for PC's, Apple didn't try to optimize iTunes performance with any certain type. Whereas they did optimize iTunes for a G4 velocity processor (and more recently, a G5 processor):)

mac_mogul said:
Actually, iTunes doesn't like ripping on AMD, or Intel for that matter. They work okay, but due to the wide variety in processors for PC's, Apple didn't try to optimize iTunes performance with any certain type. Whereas they did optimize iTunes for a G4 velocity processor (and more recently, a G5 processor):)

iTunes rips fine on my dad's 2.6GHz P4.

mac_mogul said:
...They work okay...

No one said you couldn't import music using an athlon or intel, but importing music on a G4 or G5 processor will be slightly faster due to iTunes optimization. I, too have used iTunes on a P4 system, but it only acheived an import speed of about 9x... My old 500mhz G3 iMac could get at least a 6x. My G4 iBook has reached around 15x at times...
(those speeds by the way were all made using the Mp3 encoder at 192kbps)

So I do beleive that its just a minor software issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom