I need to sort my life out! Career in IT.

solado

Beta member
Hey everyone,

Iv'e decided I need a career change and sort my life out. Right now I am working in the NHS in data quality, training and audits. I hate it and need to make the change into IT.

I have 2 qualifications related to the IT industry. A BTEC IT practitioners which was an intro into networking, hardware and general support. Also a level 5 HND IT and Business which was more geared to how IT can improve business performance with some hands on database design, programming, networking and user support.

I worked 5 years as a computer technician (support) but left due to the company going into liquidation and closing. This was a small firm which did local support for businesses, clients, customers and home visits.

Iv'e decided that I really need to do something and get back into the IT industry but I am completely at a loss where to start as it's been so long ago. I have kept up to date with most changes in technology and hardware but I wouldn't be confident just jumping into a network and configuring things, ideally I would like to work in security or networking.

I have cut my hours at the NHS due to health problems which has been a blessing in disguise as it's given me a day where I can volunteer my time at a company to get the relevant experience (iv'e even considered approaching the IT team at the hospital I work at).

Would you recommend any areas I could study to improve my IT value? I understand IT is incredibly saturated and you need to stand out from the crowd. Are there any books that you would recommend? courses or even youtube channels?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom