i installed 9800m gtx driver on my 9800m gts video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
I have a laptop with the 9800m gts video card. When I was installing a driver for it, it only gave me the option of 9800 GT, GTX, and stuff like that without any options for 9800 GTS. So I picked 9800 GTX and restarted and windows is telling me that I have a 9800 GTX video card now.

So far it hasn't affected my computer's performance in any way. I was just wondering if this could somehow potentially ruin my system. Alright let me know.

You need to get the latest set of drivers from your laptop manufacturer's website. nVidia doesnt have Mobile drivers supported on it page.

apparently gateway doesn't have any drivers on their website.

but again my question was to whether it will screw it up using a gtx driver instead of a gts driver, although the gtx driver is working perfectly fine right now.

Those drivers are not designed nor developed for the mobile card. Yes they can do damage. Why do you think i made that last statement?

Running drivers for a desktop card which has more control for things like fans, more room for heat to go away from the card and everything else.

Those drivers are designed for that. Not for a enclosed space where heat is a issue.

When have you ever known it to be good to run incorrect drivers on a Windows install? It is never good.

Sorry you couldnt understand my answer but i made that comment for a reason.

Never read that much BS that I felt like I need to create an account to rectify something. First of all using desktop drivers on mobile video cards does nothing at all, all cards are based on different chipsets with their mobile equivalent. Also as far as thermal goes, the graphic driver doesn't control the fan unless forced, if you've edited a BIOS in the past you would have known that the fan speed changes according to specific thresholds set up in the BIOS. Also if we sticked with stock laptop drivers, well we would be months late since nVidia doesn't supply drivers themselves for mobile GPUs. This is why people learn how to modify driver's infs to allow for desktop drivers to install on mobile graphic cards, and this is why there is a whole community dedicated to do that at laptopvideo2go.com
Appart from that as long as your temps are fine you should be OK, but you might run unstable, just might. Anyways no damage can be made unless the thing overheats like crazy and reaches the 100c range. Also I have my own 9800m GTS running on the 177.41 drivers and I might install the 177.92 soon since I've heard only good about them. I've been running desktop drivers for my mobile graphic cards all the time and no nothing bad happened, just keep an eye on the temps but that is a golden rule for any computers.

I went on laptopvideo2go.com and installed the 177.92 and I followed the instructions perfectly except for the part of picking the 9800 GTS. There was a 8800 GTS option though but I used my best knowledge to pick the 9800 GTX as it was the closest to the GTS. The reason I did this is because that my laptop wouldn't run World in Conflict correctly. Now that I've installed this driver, the game runs perfectly fine now.

How should I check the temps? And when would be the best time to check temps (game running or just regular pc routines?)

You can use GPU-z (just google it), it reads a lot of things about your video card including temperature. And yes you should check your temperatures right right after having played like 10 mins, just open GPU-z in the background and after 10 minutes either quit the game or just alt-tab it to see GPU-z. I would suggest keeping temps below 80c because all G9x are affected by a manufacturing problem where the GPU slowly wears out as it's temperature switches from very high temps (gaming) to low temps (idle). Basically I do everything for my laptop not to exceed 71c when gaming, 50c is my idle temp so 21c between idle and load isn't much so my GPU should have no problem, oh and it's overclocked to 730/950/1750 !

Alright i played crysis for like 30 minutes at 1920x1200 resolution at very high on half the settings at around 40+fps and the temperature was 100C.

So yeah what to do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom