I don't really get it...

Originally posted by amd_man view post
it's a marketing choice.[...] if it doesn't sell, it won't happen.

Originally posted by ipwn view post
it doesn't have to make sense, people just need to buy it :/

Originally posted by Alpha One Seven view post
It's just a name the company decides on.

Originally posted by celery view post
just three words are what sells, "new and improved!"

Originally posted by alpha one seven view post
if a company feels or finds that a certain name will sell better than another one, they go with what they can sell more of.

that should summarize the thread.

ftfy
;)

This was more of a *hits blunt* kind of not really that important question I'd see if anyone had an interesting response to :p

I have the same beef with Xbox. I mean Xbox -> Xbox 360 -> Xbox One -> Xbox One S -> Xbox One X...

If you didn't 'know' the chronology of Xbox, just looking at the names would give you no idea. At least the nomenclature NVIDIA use (from the GTX 100 series, 200 series onwards) makes some kinda sense. skipping the 800 series was a weird one, probably timing related more than anything else (800 series ended up being mobile OEM only, as did 100 and 300).

And who knows what the hell AMD's naming dept are smoking. HD.. R7, R9, 290, 290X, 390, 390X, RX.. Fury X.. Vega...

I just want whatever succeeds the 1080 to have a cool sounding snazzy name. 'twenty eighty' doesn't do it for me. It's probably about time (3 generations later...) to upgrade when the next cycle hits :lol:

LOL IS your real name Sheldon? :)

Ti is the symbol for titanium, so you can call it a 2080 titanium if you like.

Yeah, but Fe is the symbol for iron but you say the letters as F and E not as a word 'Fee'.

or Helium as 'hee' or Magnesium as 'Mgh' (since the second letter is not a vowel :lol:)

The correct, and NVIDIA-approved way of saying it would be "Ten Eighty Tee Eye"

Back
Top Bottom