How to route...

Status
Not open for further replies.

L J

Solid State Member
hey... sry for such a topic but i know nothin on how to route a computer... i recently got a Linksys NR041 n id like to network 2 computers... one wit winXP n the other wit win98 if there is a guide id appriciate a link to it...

more info. so are you tryin to network both computers so that each one has internet? if so i need to know what you have setup already (ie. i have the modem connected to one computer, how do i get the other one to get connected too)

currently one computer is running wit internet access wit a cable modem... im tryin to connect them both to the router then to the cable modem but im unshur on how to set it up once i connect everythin...

alright. that cable that runs from the modem to the computer, attach that to the "WAN" slot in the router. once you do that, all you have to do is take a ethernet cable, plug it into the 2 computers, and connect the end of those cables to the router. bam ur set. pretty easy. if you still can't get it or if you run into problems, please come back and i'll help you some more.

Well first thing, both computers need to have a network card installed. You need to run CAT5 cable from one computer to the routers LAN port. And do the same with the other computer. Then connect the cable modem to the internet port. Then you need to access the routers control panel by your browser. Check your manual for instructions on this. In router control panel makes sure that the router is set to assign more then one IP number. Then you need to run XP file sharing wizard. This can be done in the Control Panel......Network and internet connections...click on set up home or small office network. Then when the process is done choose to make a setup CD for other computers not running XP. Put that disk in the Win98 Computer install. And you should be ready to go.

I hope this was of help to you and not too confusing.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...... psht man chill...... you explained it a whole lot better than i did

ya... thanks fer all ur help... but i dont have anything but the router... i got it from a frend fer free so no manual... i have the router 3 cross over cables n thas bout it... thanks fer ur help once again...

If my memory serves me correctly usually a Linksys router Gateway address is 192.168.1.1
Open Internet Explorer and type: http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar to get to the router admin page!

The first thing I would check is to be sure that the Windows XP machince does not have the built-in firewall enabled.
1. Go to START>CONTROL PANEL
2. Double-click NETWORK CONNECTIONS
3. Right-click your Internet Connection (e.g. Local Area Connection) Select PROPERTIES
4. Once Properties open click the ADVANCED tab
5. Under "Internet Connection Firewall" be sure that the box is unchecked.
6. Click OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom