How to Move (Backup) Music From iPod to Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry K

Fully Optimized
Arghhhhhhhhhhh --- 4 hours later and trying 3 download apps -- my brain kicked in and I just used my network (go figure)

Okay, so I decided what the latest news on this topic and found an article from PC World... Back Up Your iPod to Your PC - PC World

CopyTrans ($20) helps you sidestep one of iTunes's most galling built-in limitations. This useful app allows you to backup an entire iPod or iPhone's library, then either place it in a specific folder of your choice, or import the tracks and playlists directly into iTunes. This is handy when you have a hard drive crash and all your tracks are stuck on your iPod with no way to get them off. Or, you'd just like to transfer your music to your PC without any hassle.

Also, CopyTrans doesn't check to see if there are any duplicates of songs you're importing that are already in your iTunes library. It just blithely creates duplicates with "1-" in front of all of them. Since iTunes has no real way of getting rid of duplicate tracks, this could create a big mess in your library. You'll have to use a program such as Audio Comparer ($30) or iTunes Library Updater (free) to fix this.
Despite the quirks, CopyTrans is a great solution to get around an inherent iTunes limitation. It works the same way as rival product iPodRobot and is even the same price--$20. However, those who want to spend a little more time kicking the tires will notice that the demo of CopyTrans allows 100 files per session, which is a lot better than 10 files per session with iPodRobot.

I did start here... this guy gave 5 ways ( to PC and to Mac)
http://www.metaphoriclabs.com/articles/5-ways-to-copy-music-off-your-ipod-windows-mac-os-x/

however, i tried these 2 solutions, but it took too long, didn't work or it wasn't free -- but on the trial --- every several songs popped up a window to buy or continue.

Method 3: Mac OS X – iPodDisk (free)
As mentioned above, copying files from an iPod is one of those unusual circumstances where things are actually a little simpler on the PC. The Mac recognizes an iPod as an iPod, and masks the ability to open it up like an external disk. Of course, it can be done, but it takes a little fiddling.
Fortunately, short of getting your hands dirty, there are some pretty workable freeware alternatives.
iPodDisk is an elegant little free (as in beer) utility that opens your iPod up in Finder just like was a normal drive.
Unlike opening an iPod in Windows, iPodDisk turns all of the odd file structures into an easy-to-navigate layout that lets you sort down through your artists, albums, playlists, etc. — drag whatever you want off and put it in your iTunes.
It'll even open a Windows-formatted iPod just fine — which makes this a rather convenient way to get from a Windows iPod to a Mac formatted one (drag all of the files out with iPodDisk, reinitialize the iPod with the Mac iPod Updater, load the files into iTunes and let it stick them back on your iPod.
iPodDisk is a Power PC program, but it works fine on Intel Macs (at least it does on mine), and it supports all current iPods.
Method 4: Mac OS X – Expod (free)
Expod is a simple, free (open source even) utility that opens your iPod and lets you select songs to extract. Once you've selected them, you can tell it where to copy them to on your Mac, and even specify how you want the filenames created.
Expod is a Universal Binary (works on Power PC and Intel Macs both), and requires OS X 10.4 (Tiger), although it's been reported to work under some versions of 10.3.

So, what did I learn, when dealing with your iPod, iTunes and your PC/Mac

1) if songs are ONLY on your iPod, set your iPod to disk mode. it took me a few tries and re-reading the instructions, but it was accurate :) Putting iPod into Disk Mode

Once ipod is in disk mode, you should be able to plug into computer and drag/drop your mp3s anywhere you want. (but you more than likely will not like how the structure is)....
so, I did use a FREE (completely free) copy of winamp to copy the music and keep the format to a windows machine.

2) once your music is on a computer or external hard drive (which is a good way to go), you can transfer the music into itunes.

3) for me, on the mac, my network has windows PCs and my macbook. So via the Shared section of the Finder, I went to the music directory on my PC and could drag the folder into iTunes directly.... it copied the files over and then did something (really, not sure what it is)...

after the files copied, they are greyed out, but then iTunes goes through them and does something -- after that... they are ready to go!

So whether you are backing them or transfering them.... you just need 2 computers and a network OR your iPod/computer and an external drive. AND don't forget you have to set the iPod disk mode :)

you don't need "Free" programs that are not really free or have whatever limitations.

hopefully, this will save you some time -- as NEXT time.. i will know how to deal with iTunes, iPods and the music

People seem to have so much trouble with this stuff.

I've always just used "iDump" it's 100% free...takes music from ipod and puts it on your computer. Move it to somewhere else, put it back into itunes, whatever.... none of this setting ipod to disk mode or anything.

wafflehammer... can you give more details?
-- crap, i wish i found idump then.....

so does it work on mac/windows? you can drag/drop from idump to anywhere and it just works?

the biggest reason i believe all this gives people so much trouble is apple says, "we don't support / we don't want you moving songs from ipod to pc directly" meaning, they want you to use itunes.

and when i first started messing with it --- (first, my itunes was on windows laptop, then i got macbook) when i hooked my ipod to mac -- it said "format ipod or cancel -- NO other options.

anyway, i bet you can save or help other people by giving your experience with idump

THANKs!

I don't know about the mac thing. It's been awhile since I've used it but yea..it's simple. Just click a few things and it copies from ipod to computer. Puts it in folders for artist/albums and everything so it's just a big jumble mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom