how to maxximize internet speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke

Golden Master
I just got high speed finally, and i have never had it before. So i honestly have no idea if there are some things you can do to maximize the speed. I could just google search it, but i would rather just get it threw the forum.

There isn't really much you can do, other than having a good-quality router/modem (even then it won't make much difference).

^ i figured as much, but i have never had high speed so i am clueless. Thanks for the post though

Edit: might as well use this thread for a problem i have instead of making another one.

I set the internet up wirelessly with my laptop (the modem has built in wireless). I wanted to hook up my desktop computer, but it does not have a wireless adapter so i tries a lan cable from the modem to the computer. It detects that a lan cable is connected and says the local area network has ben conected but i can't seem to use the internet (no page will display what so ever) What do you have to set up to make it work (again, first time with high speed, so i have never had internet using an ethernet cable)

Well you wil have to go to the routers setup page and make sure that it has assigned a IP for the wired connection. This is a regualr Cat5 cable not a cross over cable right?

^as far as i know it is a cat5e cable. It came with the modem ( i don't have any of mine here) the box just said an ethernet cable. Could you walk me threw it a bit? i know nothing about this kind of stuff, i have had dial up my entire life im a noob when it comes to this/.

Check your router settings out.

See if it has MAC Address filtering or a Firewall enabled for security reasons. (These settings are for extra protection to make sure unauthorized people don't use your internet connection)

Your computer might still be drawing from the Dial-up IP address and such, so go into your network settings, go to properties, IPv4 properties, make sure everything is on automatic and then restart the computer. If it still doesn't work, go into cmd (windows key + r; type in CMD; hit enter) then type in ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew and you should be back online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom