how to fold with CPU properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant what works better, one gpu client and three cpu clients, one per core, or one smp and one gpu? I'm asking because since the gpu client also uses cpu processing.

ActuaLLY, on a nvidia card, cpu activity is 3%. ATI is the hog. But using enviromental variables, you can knock the cpu down substantially.

Unicores, or smp, is really up to you. As both work are needed, however, due to the shorter deadlines, and larger wus, smp usually nets more ppd.

I use to run smp on 2 cores in linux vmware, and net as much as 4 cores in windows... but my comp hated to run smp and locks up after 2 days.

My dual core smp nets 500+ppd, while my dual unicore laptop is like 400 if i run both.

it doesn't let me do -configonly -smp :\ says only -configonly is valid

EDIT: Okay someone needs to do a step by step download and install guide....this isn't working. I done exactly what you said, done exactly what the site said..nothing is working :\ So a step by step " download this this this, install this, drag this here, do blah blah blah " guide is needed or this just isn't going to happen

Nope it won't... because -configonly is to setup the user, team and extra parameters.

use -configonly then when it asks if you want to configure advanced stuf, say yes.

In thagt menus/question, it ask for extra parameters, add the -verbosity 9 -smp

This will allow it to always startup as smp, vertosity is for error tracking.

it never lets me put in -smp...i can do the verbosity 9 then it starts going :\ but -smp just gives errors..and in the thing where it says what all i can say it's not listed.. :|

so far it's doing 5000 parts out of 500,000 every 10ish minutes. Which is 3x faster than what it was doing. All cores staying around 50%-70% usage too. Seems to be working a lot better than it was but I'm still confused over the -smp tag thing :\

You have HT on right? thats your 50%

I'm betting you can't put -smp because you have it twice... Without an -smp, you'd have only 1 core at 50%, so you've inadvetantly put it down twice...
You also have the 2, cpu and gpu, a different machine id's right?

What is the work unit?

yea i have them different ID's

http://i33.tinypic.com/2jdggty.jpg

that answer your question ??

after a quick search on google people talk about getting anywhere between 2800 to 10000 PPD with their i7's :\ according to fahmon i'm gonna avg about 2400-2500 ppd :| they talk about running VM's and stuff a lot too so maybe I've just reached the max for this kind of setting?

Yha, you have, gthe linux core runs much more efficient... a good example is.. My vmware linux setup was getting the same ppd on 2 cores, verses your 4 cores in windows.

Its actualy quite easy to run vmware setups. Theres the notfreds vmware file, which involves installing vmware player, loading the vrx file, and changing the user/team info..

i7 folk run 2 of them for 5k ppd... The unit youre in 2653, is a nice unit..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom