How often do you reinstall XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At Least every three months. I have a Server computer upstairs with all the info I need. I just put all my drives and office backups on there.

I don't reinstall XP anymore.... I am running vista on all my systems except my server which is dead, was running 2k3.... But I do reload an image of vista atleast once a year.

I got a new desktop in September '08 and since then I've had to reinstall XP 4 times, (mainly caused by viruses or worms etc messing up certain things). After the 4 times, I switched to Vista and today I am going to do my first format since changing to vista.

So let's see, that's 5 formats in about 9-10 months.

you guys re-install a lot, i'll do it maybe twice a year(obviously if i run into any problems that need this done i will do it more then twice a year, so probably one average 3 times a year) on all my systems other then my laptop. Doing it anymore then that would be very hard as i have a **** load of data that i would need to back up on my main drive. I have some of it already backed up but there would still be a good 200gigs of stuff needed to be backed up, i don''t have the space to keep it backed up all the time, thats why i need to pick up another 1tb drive and throw it in an enclosure. When i do reinstall, i use an external hard drive.

I reinstalled just yesterday for a new mobo+CPU, I know it's not necessary but I like to be thorough.

I ghost machines several times a month... but that's my job. I use OSX at home because it's hassle free and I've never had to reinstall it in the 3 years I've used it thus far.

But really, if you know what you're doing, then XP is good for years on end. We have many computers here which have been used DAILY for 5 years straight without much hassle. Granted, they are running enterprise grade AV software. However there was no disk maintenance, so these drives are 35% to 70% fragmented (yes, I have never seen fragmentation this bad) so I just implemented scheduled defrags.

^yeah, if you have to re-install xp (just because things are getting slow)more then say 4 times a year (obviously not if you have a major problem) then you IMO you are not taking good care of it.

^yeah, if you have to re-install xp (just because things are getting slow)more then say 4 times a year (obviously not if you have a major problem) then you IMO you are not taking good care of it.

I would have to agree. I re-do my machines about once a year. I don't see the reason to do it anymore than that. Unless you have a system failure or something that warrants it.

I take great care of my OS. The fact is i test material that is known to cause problems. If it wasnt for my testing, these problems might not be found and end up making it to your PC.

So yeah i reinstall a lot, but it is for a great reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom