How much profit is it ideal to make off of a custom pc?

Profit per standard computer price range from 700-1000

• 10-100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100-200

• 100-300

• 200-400

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Cowboy says it is all about your goal. If you are running a business, then NO, 15 dollars or really anything under 100 you are barely going to break even. You have to take into account time, how much you want to get paid for your time, and any other costs associated with the build. Sure 15 dollars or even 50 seems awesome if you just think about it from the persepective of free time (meaning your time isn't worth a dollar amount). But if you want to run a business, your time is worth money. Then subtract 30% because uncle Sam or the government need their take an your down to about 30 to 40 dollars an hour.

Sure 15 or 50 dollars is great, but with a legit business you have to take taxes, health care, and a few other things about before you can 'pocket' the money legally and claim it on your taxes. If you are in it for fun, and don't claim any of the money then ya 15 to 50 bucks for a fun afternoon isn't that bad :)

Aren't 100-200 dollars quite expensive? When i was really young and did not know anything about computers (5 years ago) all the installment costed about 50 euros including the building, OS installation and teaching you some basics of the computer...

Try running a legit business some time. Just off the top of my head, there is :-

My rent for the shop $600 per week
Electricity $150 per quarter
Business Insurance & Public Liability Insurance $2000 per year
My Car and Fuel expenses. I go through $50 of petrol each week.
At least $440 per year for car service, $2500 per for car insurance (both 3rd Party and Compehensive), $450 per year car rego, $150 per year for road side assistance

This works out to be $768* per week
So at $50 mark up, I need to build about 16 PC per week before i break even.
In the case of Oreo $15 mark up, I need to build about 52 PC per week before i break even.

For all you back yard techs out there, let just make the assumption that you are paying about $100 rent with the people you are currently living with.
For $50 mark up, I need to build 6 PC per week before I see a return
For $15 mark up, I need to build 18 PC per week before i see a return.

Just some thing to think about before some one in this thread starts accusing computer shops for being rip off artist.

Why do you think i don't mind doing one site work. I charge $80 - $132 (some time more based on the job). Provided that i am on the road for 2 business days, I have covered my running costs for the business.

Couldn't say it better myself Cowboy. That is what i'm saying. Take into account uncle sam will also take away from that markup so you have to get 1/3rd more business to cover those costs.

You HAVE to charge a decent amount to run a successful business. It is a business not a charity.

£15/$30 (Actually £15 is probably more like $16 in todays crap economy :mad:) actually, but yeh thats way beyond the point your getting at :p

But yes, like you were saying Cowboy, i have no other expenses. I'll just be gaming on CSS and someone will hit me up with a budget, they send me it over paypal - i order the pc 20 minutes later, continue with my gaming - come home the next day from school, build it while watching The Simpsons and get my dad to take the PC to there house that evening when he gets home from work :D . its £15 pure profit, and it's fun. Couldn't ask for more.

haha oreo, do you really build that many computers in a week?

Teach me how!! My (private) high school, is full of poor people just like me. I assume you go to a public school? and then most of them expect me to build them free lmao.

So I stop bothering at my school, and I just build one for myself, enjoy it until someone buys it.

I think a 10% and $50 or $60 minimum would be fine. A $1000 computer will fetch you $100, and so on. I think it's fairly reasonable. But make clear that they should contact the manufacture for support before they expect you to do anything.

10%
unless your selling retail
then its 50%

When I was doing analysis in Tampa we charged $120 an hour for me to be there, whether I was doing anything or not. Over the phone help was $50 an hour.
Running an actual business is stupid expensive so you have to charge what seems like a lot to cover expenses. You have to think about all the things you are paying for whether or not it pertains to the job your currently doing. Things like your lease, insurance, electricity, security, taxes, heat, equipment and man hours all factor into what you charge for either a per unit or hourly rate.

when i build high end i will spec it on alienware and knock a few hundred off. that way, i can sleep at night and also DANG sure make more than 50-100 dollars. i want to make like 4-500 dollars. bear in mind these are 2000ish dollar (overall) rigs. the best rig i built, i had enough left over to buy the components in my sig, except the 4870 and take my wife out on a nice dinner date...i think i gave her some shopping money, too. i made like 600 bucks or so. thats what im talking about. i run a small family business, and i treat building comps the same way. im in it to MAKE MONEY, not do favors. i try not to build low end stuff (except for my family and i do theirs for free, they just buy the parts and feed me), as there is almost no way to beat one of those 500 dollar dells that come with a monitor and everything. and if you can build it, you might make 40 bucks. no thanks, not worth the hassle. i may only do a few top-notch builds here and there, im not like churning them out left and right...but when i spend my time creating a work of art :D...i get PAID.

whne I Build High End I Will Spec It On Alienware And Knock A Few Hundred Off. That Way, I Can Sleep At Night And Also Dang Sure Make More Than 50-100 Dollars. I Want To Make Like 4-500 Dollars. Bear In Mind These Are 2000ish Dollar (overall) Rigs. The Best Rig I Built, I Had Enough Left Over To Buy The Components In My Sig, Except The 4870 And Take My Wife Out On A Nice Dinner Date...i Think I Gave Her Some Shopping Money, Too. I Made Like 600 Bucks Or So. Thats What Im Talking About. I Run A Small Family Business, And I Treat Building Comps The Same Way. Im In It To Make Money, Not Do Favors. I Try Not To Build Low End Stuff (except For My Family And I Do Theirs For Free, They Just Buy The Parts And Feed Me), As There Is Almost No Way To Beat One Of Those 500 Dollar Dells That Come With A Monitor And Everything. And If You Can Build It, You Might Make 40 Bucks. No Thanks, Not Worth The Hassle. I May Only Do A Few Top-notch Build Here And There, Im Not Like Churning Them Out Left And Right...but When I Spend My Time Creating A Work Of Art :d...i Get Paid.

^^qft.

when i build high end i will spec it on alienware and knock a few hundred off. that way, i can sleep at night and also DANG sure make more than 50-100 dollars. i want to make like 4-500 dollars. bear in mind these are 2000ish dollar (overall) rigs. the best rig i built, i had enough left over to buy the components in my sig, except the 4870 and take my wife out on a nice dinner date...i think i gave her some shopping money, too. i made like 600 bucks or so. thats what im talking about. i run a small family business, and i treat building comps the same way. im in it to MAKE MONEY, not do favors. i try not to build low end stuff (except for my family and i do theirs for free, they just buy the parts and feed me), as there is almost no way to beat one of those 500 dollar dells that come with a monitor and everything. and if you can build it, you might make 40 bucks. no thanks, not worth the hassle. i may only do a few top-notch builds here and there, im not like churning them out left and right...but when i spend my time creating a work of art :D...i get PAID.

Exactly. If I am doing a hard core gaming rig with name brands on every thing, I expect about 20%-30% points. Partly because the machinese are alot more complicated to build than your $100 margin all-in-one motherboard with a video job. If people want a quality, they pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom