How much do you tip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
$30 meal, Tip $5
$40 meal, tip $5
$350 meal, tip........$5 there is no effin way any food is worth that much money even for like 5-6 people. the tips in the $45 steak, punto!

naerskine said:
$30 meal, Tip $5
$40 meal, tip $5
$350 meal, tip........$5 there is no effin way any food is worth that much money even for like 5-6 people. the tips in the $45 steak, punto!

Evidentally you don't understand that most servers get paid well below minimum wage because the tip is part of their wages. Restaurant servers are one of the few occupations where the employer is allowed to pay below minimum because of the tips. So when people give small tips, the server isn't getting paid for their work.

I have inlaws that think that you are supposed to give a $1.00 tip no matter what. When these people offer to buy my meal, I always offer to pay the tip. And when we go out but pay separate, I always make sure to give a generous tip to somewhat balance out their $1.

I have never been a server, but I deeply believe that they should be paid for their work.

naerskine said:
$30 meal, Tip $5
$40 meal, tip $5

That's why I'm glad that most of the high end restaurants I've worked in automatically add a 18% gratuity charge for parties of 5+.... and if you don't want to pay it... well, don't come back. The servers won't miss you.

The funny thing is, you are probably a really needy customer... someone who is always unsatisfied and asks for everything while expecting to pay nothing. The worst thing is that as a server, you bust your *** to make sure that someone like that is happy... and then they insult you with a crappy tip.

You should, by law, have to wear a sign that warns people "I'm a crappy tipper!"

10-15%

There's a lot of factors. How good of a mood I'm in, how good the food was, the service, etc..etc..

Evidentally you don't understand that most servers get paid well below minimum wage because the tip is part of their wages.
No see...that's why it's called "MINIMUM" wage.......cause you dont go below that.

But yeah, in jobs with tips you usually get minimum wage because they know you'll make tips. HOWEVER.....I know a place I valeted at, this italian place, the busser there got something like $10 an hour compared to my $7.63 plus he made around $100 a night whereas I'm standing my butt in the cold retrieving ungrateful peoples cars for 8 hours and maybe squeak out with $30.

I tip graciously when I can, because I know for someone who is earning tips, a good tip can make their day.

So emo around here.. I have worked in as a server and as a bus boy. I know what its like to get crappy tips. As a server i went home with 90-150 dollars a night (after i tip the bus boy). On top of that I made 3.15 an hour. And I didnt work hard at all. I write what they want, enter it in computer, bring it out when its ready, and refill some drinks when needed. Thats the easiest job I have ever had. Servers do not work hard at all. As a bus boy I worked twice as hard if not more, and got only 30-40 in tips and 2.45 an hour. Now truthfully I tip the correct amount, and sometimes if the server knows their **** a little more. Again, servers don't work hard at all.

I would look for effort, is it really that hard to bring out a $20 dollar plate of food than a $4.85 plate of food? I also think automatically charging the tax for you isn't right. A "gratitude charge" is like forcing someone to say sorry, it doesn't make sense.

Nubius said:

No see...that's why it's called "MINIMUM" wage.......cause you dont go below that.

You can earn as low as $3/hr if you are allowed to accept tips, legally. Only small restaurants still use this policy but it's still legal. Just like Small Businesses don't have to pay the federal minimum of $5.15/hr, they can pay as low as $4.25.

And it's not about the effort of bring out a plate of food. Tipping is about showing appreciation for refilling your drink, being nice, bring out something (like condiments or whatever) without any hassle, etc. A good server/waiter can enhance your dining experience and to me that's really worth a tip. The real key is in how often my drink gets refilled. I can really drink a lot at a restaurant, usually no less than 5 glasses and if a server can keep it full I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom