How many off you are off work cause of the snow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFCJohnSmith

In Runtime
Well here in the UK the worse snow for 30 years has caused absolute chaos! Here in the UK we normally have westerly winds which blow in off the Atlantic which has in turn been warmed by the Gulf stream, which cause our famous cold and wet in the summer weather and warm and mild weather in the winter, and if you need proof of this well we live on the same latitude as New York and they get ice bergs in their part of the Atlantic ocean, and their winters are a lot worse than ours also. But the dice had been turned and the winds have swapped direction and we are now getting easterly winds blowing in from Scandanavia which has brought with it snow and freezing temperatures. Don't get me wrong but I you live somewhere which is used to these weather conditions then it isn nothing that would worry you but as we don't get prolonged weather like this the country has litteraly ground to a halt.

Off from work cause of snow?!?!?

Heck we got almost 5 feet the other night when i was sleeping. I still had to unbury my car, drive at 10 MPH for over a hour to get to work. No place shut down, not even 5 minutes early cause of snow here. That is totally unheard of in NY to get off cause of snow.

All the bus servies in Liverpool were stopped at 2pm on Tuesday cause the snow just started to fall, and the roads hadnt been treated adequatly. People were taking 3 hours to drive a couple of miles and some people even had to sleep in their cars for the night. Follow this link and you will see that practically school in the city is closed cause of the weather.

http://www.radiocity.co.uk/Article.asp?id=1576118

Like I said we don't normally get this type of weather as we normally have westery winds blowing in of the gulf stream warmed Atlantic, so when we get it we really suffer (or have lots of fun skivving of work) because of it.

EDIT: That list has shrunk since yesterday as some of the schools have opened.

We werent prepared for the type of weather we got either. To go to bed without a single flake falling and wakin up to 5 feet is not normal here. But we still dont close due to it. I drove though some piles of snow that came up over my bumper. Some snow drifts were up to my waist or right below the driver side window on my car. Still doesnt stop us. Heck when i went to work that day i never saw a snow plow anywhere.

I only drive a Civic so getting through much of that snow was a trip to begin with. I barely made it out of my driveway let alone to work. Almost died 3 times.

Yeah but was you on ice? The main problem here has been caused by the ice on the road, or the snow being compacted the cars driving over it, the roads are now just like a skid pan.

Yes there was ice. This is what it looks like outside any window on my house. This is what it has been like since Friday. We had rain all last week and then Friday night it turned to snow. So yeah our roads were covered with Ice and then a sheet of snow.

That is what i see outside my window right here. That is nothing compared to the ice hanging by my front door which i have to take a american football outside and knock down before they fall and kill someone.

Maybe it is just us. Cause this is normal weather here. Last time we shut down even for a couple of hours was 3 years ago when we had a massive storm knock down power lines. Other than that, we work and have school no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom