How good is Microsoft's free antivirus software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The test results aren't showing up for me for some reason, even if I try accessing them from the page and not your link.

Your wording didn't really make sense about the false positives but I assume you are saying that OneCare got fewer false positives than NOD32?

Yes. It does give a exact result. But it states in the PDF that One Care got very few false positives and NOD32 got few. So to me that reads as NOD32 got more false positives than OneCare did.

Do you have a PDF reader installed like Reader 9.1 or FoxIt Reader? I use Adobe Reader and it works just fine for me.

Well, yea. MSE looks to be a promising product now, but in it's infancy OneCare was nothing but headaches for me.

There is no firewall and parental controls in this is there? Any data privacy protection? These are the things I look for in a security suite, but they could also be obtained through other programs if this ends up being the "right" product.

Any program when it is first released to the world has multiple issues and headaches. I mean look at Windows. It took them over 10 years to get a OS to a stable and fully functional state. Starting with Windows 1.0 back in 1984 which was worse than ME, Vista and XP pre-SP1 combined.

There isnt a firewall cause the firewall in Vista is good. It can control inbound and outbound. Win7's firewall is even better.

There isnt parental controls cause that is built into Vista/Win7 itself. So no need for added stuff in the Security Suite when it is already part of the OS.

I have not installed a firewall on XP, Vista or Win7 and have been able to control all my programs just fine adding port forwarding when needed. That along with my router have provided me with protection from everything the web has thrown at me. I have been infected only once in 5 years with this setup. That was my own fault as well. Not a fault of anything else. I downloaded and installed a program without having AV protection on.

So MSE combined with the stuff built into the OS will be more than sufficient.

MSE is to OneCare what Win7 is to Vista. MS took what worked and made it better. :D

That is a totally true statement. I can vouch for that on so many levels. Win7 is shaping up to be the Best Windows to date. Resource usage is coming down like crazy. Even with my normal apps installed upon boot, without removing anything, it is down to 25% or so of my resources. Which is even 10% better than XP.

So yeah Win7 is gonna be great. I love it already and refuse to go back. MSE is going to be my AV of choice. I see no reason not to switch off of it from the early testing i have done with it.

The price tag certainly helps :D

I'm d/l Win7 right now and I already d/l MSE, so I'll give it a shot this week and see how it all works out. I was a little disappointed with Vista, but it seems to be a much better OS within the last year or so. So, I've got high hopes for 7.

Well as anyone knows i was a big defender of Vista. I liked it. I love Win7. It is leaps and bounds better than Vista. It is like going from Win98 to XP. At least for me. I think it is a great OS and i dont plan on looking back at Vista or XP at all again.

Well as anyone knows i was a big defender of Vista. I liked it. I love Win7. It is leaps and bounds better than Vista. It is like going from Win98 to XP. At least for me. I think it is a great OS and i dont plan on looking back at Vista or XP at all again.

I feel the exact same way. I love Win7. Haven't found a single thing I don't like about it.

Wow, it ranks up there with Nod32 eh? That's really good to hear. Glad M$ is finally shaping up :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom