How does the internet work? A few questions...

TheGreenCat

Beta member
So far, this is all I understand of the internet:

A web request from my web browser gets sent to the modem, which then sends it to the ISP through coaxial cables... The ISPs meet at Internet Exchange points to exchange data and then sends it onto a Tier 1 ISP (Level3, Cogent etc...) to get to the destination server and then sends the website back in pieces which assembles themselves...

Did I get this part right? If not please correct me as just that ^ took me weeks to understand...

What do ISPs use to pass on the web requests to the Tier 1 ISPs?
Would it be a router? How do routers work?
And who provides them with a router and what operating system would those routers be using?

At which point does DNS come in to help translate web addresses to IP addresses?
Who owns the "phone book" of text to numbers and who manages it?
How exactly does DNS work (all the steps...?)?
How does a company (GoDaddy) become a domain registrar?

Do web hosting companies (GoDaddy BlueHost etc...) use a Tier 1 ISP's fiber optics to connect their datacenters to the internet? Or something else?

I heard that ISPs assign each device an IP address... Who provides ISPs all around the world with the IP addresses?

And what about companies like Google? Do their datacenters go through a Tier 1 ISP?

Sorry if that was a lot of questions... I really don't understand much and I'd like to but nobody else could teach me so.... yeah... :)

Back
Top Bottom