how do i password protect network folder on server

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he is talking about admins on their own computer. Its not necessary but it sure is easier. I would doubt that everyone would be a server admin. If they are I would change them to users instead of admins. I cannot think of too many situations where it would be good to have evey user as an admin on a server. it kind of defeats any security measures one would want to implement.

Having everyone as a server admin is insane. There is no reason to even have security if everyone is an admin.

How many people do you want access to this folder?Just put it on your local machine, and only allow the people to map to it that you want.

we are a small IT company and everyone needs to be an administrator in order to operate the server in case something happens. I have seen software that will put a password on a folder and that is what i want but it doesnt do it across the network. it makes the folder inaccessible.

I think we're gonna just get another file server

gonna try removing the administrator group first
thanks!!

yep if you have admin rights and access to the server you can do whatever you want. I kind of like it. :) I think in your situation a seperate file server would do the job. The problem you have is you can set any permissions you want but if everyone has direct access to the server with admin rights it does not matter. You could always pull the winzip with password solution but its kind of a pain in the arse.

If you are a small firm, it should be feasable for you to just explicitly deny permisions for any users you do not want to have access.

So, if bsmith and jjones are both in the Administrators group, and Administrators has access to the "Salaries" folder, but you dont want jjones to access the "Salaries" folder, go to sharing > security > add > jjones > select jjones > check all boxes under "deny".

aaxian said:
If you are a small firm, it should be feasable for you to just explicitly deny permisions for any users you do not want to have access.

So, if bsmith and jjones are both in the Administrators group, and Administrators has access to the "Salaries" folder, but you dont want jjones to access the "Salaries" folder, go to sharing > security > add > jjones > select jjones > check all boxes under "deny".

Good answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom