How do i get started?

PhantomGamer

Baseband Member
I think i'm still at a young-age vantage point. I'm 16 years old, fairly mature, fairly intelligent and a significant amount of knowledge about computers and computer hardware. I make pretty decent grades but due to emotional instability kind of screwed up 9th and 10th grade (thereby meaning i got no credits. Instead i grew anti-social and played world of warcraft for two years straight never going outside. Exaggeration, but virtually that's how it went down). I'm definitely able to gain all credits back so i will graduate with absolute certainty and even a little wiggle room in senior year to goof off a little and slack but of course i don't even want to risk that slacking at this point. I need to know where to get started in the field and how to enter and i figure this is a great place to ask. Any colleges you recommend attending to get started? What field of technology is in most demand? How do i go about getting a job or internship when i turn 18? Thanks for all the help guys! You may just make this kids future (;

You are young, so don't pigeon hole yourself by saying that you are just going to focus on one thing. You are young - you should be trying different skills and classes to see what you are good at and what you enjoy doing.

Your first step is to graduate high school. Once you do that I would suggest going to a traditional 4 year school and get your Bachelors in some type of computer field (depending on the school will depend on what it's called). I don't know where you live so i can't suggest specific schools, but every school will allow you to visit them, walk around with a guide and see what campus / school you like the most. Weigh that with what that school is good at (IE business, computers, science, ect) and with where you want to be in life.

Get your degree, during which i would suggest working part time at any local computer shop (even Geek squad) if you can. Personally i believe getting hired this day and age, employers look at the following, going from most important to least:
1. Experience - if you have QUALITY experience that will outweigh any other factor when getting hired
2. Education - get a 4 year degree if it's in the cards, if not try to get your associates. Right or wrong, most employers require some type of degree. Going to college is far more than earning a piece of paper. If done right you will learn a TON and grow as an adult.
3. Certifications - A+, Net+ MCP, MCSE, CCNA all quality exams. Most IT employers want a certification or two to show you've gotten your hands dirty.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot lex! Definitely made me think about that term "pigeonholing". Youre right as i have sort of set my mind in one narrow direction when i should certainly be focusing on a horizon of different technology career opportunities.

2. Education - get a 4 year degree if it's in the cards, if not try to get your associates. Right or wrong, most employers require some type of degree. Going to college is far more than earning a piece of paper. If done right you will learn a TON and grow as an adult.

Even if it is not a tech degree?

it not only what you know but WHO you know as well. Every job that i got was thru someone's recommendation. Jobs are usually announced to internal employees first. I've sent internal job postings to several friends.

Get to know teachers and other tech savvy ppl
Do work for cheap or free and ask for recommendation letters or word of mouth advertising
Let ppl know what projects you are working on; personal website may work well

If you want to go into IT you should get an IT degree - i was making the assumption that he wants to do that so naturally... he would get an IT degree.

I agree that its good practice to obtain a IT degree. However, I also believe that it is not absolutely required. I know a couple people who started on phone support and climbed the corporate ladder. They built contacts and found special opportunities.

I posted my comment in hopes to keep the OP aware of additional factors when job hunting. I remember the school I attended had a white board displaying different postings. At one point, there was a internship up the street; non paid. I was working at the time so i did not pursue it.

Funny thing is though, I've had some teachers with obscure degrees. one with BA in Forestry and another with BA in English and French.

Sometimes I hear people say their college degree is a waste because they won't remember what they learned. I think this is hogwash. College will help you practice learning. It should put you into a different mindset during your everday life. These are some reasons why employers require a degree.

Now, the hard part is execution. ...and doing so within a team of people.

Take what you learned and apply it to your work. Just like when you're in your home lab. Read something, then make it happen. Hooray!

Back
Top Bottom