How automatically change underscores to spaces when downloading files?

camosilver311

In Runtime
I have this problem in both Windows 7 and XP (I run both)... when I download something, when I go to save it, many times the file name by default looks like this:

devildriver_clouds_over_california.gp5

But that's a horrible way to view your files(for me anyways)... I ALWAYS rename EVERY file I download to read in this format:

Devildriver - Clouds Over California.gp5

I know that when you are downloading the file you can rename it then, but this gets seriously annoying when I have to rename tens or hundreds of files. Yes, I know about mass file renaming utilities, and programs like Tag & Rename Mp3 Batch Editor, which I currently use for mp3 file renaming. But why the hell can't I set things up so that whenever a file is downloaded from any source, underscores are replaced with spaces and the first letter of every word is capitalized?

Also, certain sites that I download from replace spaces with an even more annoying %20. I would also like to automatically have these files renamed to my preferred format upon download. I don't want to have to run any renaming utilities later, I wnat this to happened automatically so that no renaming is needed when downloading any file. Just save to my preferred naming format automatically.

Is there a setting within Windows that I can change so that files I download are saved in my preferred format? A registry setting maybe? I use firefox, so maybe an addon or setting in firefox? A greasemonkey script? I do not want to use any third party software to go through and rename files after they downloaded, I want the file name to read as I have shown above by default so that no renaming needs to be done later. Can this be done, and if so, how?

Thanks for the suggestion, but like I said, I don't want to rename anything after it downloads. I've been doing that for years and I'm tired of it. I am seeking a way to make any file I download saved in my preferred format AUTOMATICALLY... meaning when I download a file, it will not save the file as some ridiculous name with underscores and %20 signs in the file name, but save it like I want it (no underscores, no %20 signs, first letter of each word capitalized), and it will do this AUTOMATICALLY upon download. That's what I am looking for.

Unfortunately the underscore and %20 are usually needed to create a url link or are need for compatibility on the host file storage system etc. etc.
So you need to find a way to convert the file name before or after the download process has started on your computer.

As you are not wanting to use a file rename tool after the download, this only logically leaves you with the option to rename it prior to starting a download

so you would most likely need some downloading client software that has the ability to automatically replace the underscore or %20 with a space, when the download/save process is started.
I am not aware of any client that has this feature, but I have to be honest I don't use download clients any more, and haven't used one for a while, well not since I went from dial-up to broadband a long time ago lol, as I have no need to resume downloads, and that was my only reason for needing one.
Maybe someone else on here is aware of a client that has this feature, or google might be able to find one.

Thanks for the suggestion, but like I said, I don't want to rename anything after it downloads. I've been doing that for years and I'm tired of it. I am seeking a way to make any file I download saved in my preferred format AUTOMATICALLY... meaning when I download a file, it will not save the file as some ridiculous name with underscores and %20 signs in the file name, but save it like I want it (no underscores, no %20 signs, first letter of each word capitalized), and it will do this AUTOMATICALLY upon download. That's what I am looking for.

Depends on what you're downloading with... If a browser, it would have to be a add-on or extension. Otherwise, you'll need to finda dl client app thathas this speciffically programmed into it.

Otherwise ypor best option will be something like my previos suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom