Homegroup Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klope3

Baseband Member
My HomeGroup always worked before, but then one day after transferring a large amount of data from one computer to the other (via HomeGroup), it stopped working.

The problem is rather strange: when I click on HomeGroup on my desktop computer, it detects the presence of my laptop just fine. But when I click on HomeGroup on my laptop, the desktop computer is not detected.

Strangely, it used to be the other way around--my desktop didn't detect my laptop, but my laptop did detect my desktop.

Both machines are running Windows 7 64-bit.

Any suggestions?

I would un-install the network adapter driver / restart the computer and let Windows re-detect the device. It may automatically install a driver or you may need to install it yourself. When the driver is installed you may have to re-assign it to your Homegroup.

The solution turned out to be uninstalling McAfee Internet Protection Suite and using Windows Firewall instead! Now I can access my HomeGroup stuff like before.

I know what you're thinking, but fortunately, I'll only have to rely on Windows Firewall for another 20 days before I get a free subscription to Sophos from my college.

So, problem solved. (For now...)

I don't know why you made the comment about what people must be thinking. I use Windows Firewall exclusively with Microsoft Security Essentials, both completely free, and I have yet to get an infection. There is nothing wrong with the firewall in Win7. It is just as good as any other out there if you know how to use it.

It can block incoming and outgoing traffic just like those pay per use programs. But instead of asking you everytime a program connects you go in yourself and tell it which apps to block. I find it less intrusive and far better that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom