Home theater, Surround sound for TVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjølen

Baseband Member
So, it's obvious, that home theater systems provide surround sound with the speakers. There are five or seven satellites plugging into five or seven jacks in the back of the home theater DVD player. However, the audio output from the DVD player is only stereo in most home theater systems, correct? Red/White composite audio. So, does the surround sound only work when I'm watching DVDs on the home theater system, or is there any way to get the surround sound out of regular TV, or maybe through my Xbox 360? I'm just curious as to how it works.

*EDIT: HDMI is the answer, isn't it? Video/Audio supporting Surround sound on one cable, from the home theater to the TV or Xbox 360, Correct?
This brings me to my next question. If I wanted to transfer surround sound data from between the home theater system and another device, I would need an HDMI input and an HDMI output in the surround sound system, right? Depending on whether the surround sound was coming from the TV or the DVD player?

You're correct, sorta.

HDMI is only the answer if your entire system uses HDMI and is inter-compatible. Every connected device needs to be HDMI. HDMI, in terms of audio, only helps to eliminate some cables. In my installs, I still ALWAYS use separate connections. Yes, it may be easier, but I would rather make sure it work and sound correct than try to figure out if its really working or not.

The only way to get true surround sound is with digital connection (coaxial or SP/DIF [optical]) and set the receiver to a Normal or Direct mode where no effects or extra decoding is done. You are right in saying that the red/white line only carries stereo signal. This is why there are so many effects on most receivers such as "Dolby Pro Logic" that try to figure out how it would sound if it were in surround sound. This is NOT real surround sound. That is your receiver "decoding" the sound and discerning where to send the signal.

Again, you'll only get true surround sound from a bitstream output (PCM does not output 5.1/7.1 information).

So, connect digitally, get rid of surround processing effects and you're good to go.

Aye, I've figured it out. My TV does not need surround sound, since nearly none of the channels on my campus probably support it. I can live with my Wii only having "emulated" surround sound using the Red/White Composite Audio to my Home Theater System. My Xbox 360 will use surround sound by hooking up an optical audio cable to my Home Theater System. And, my DVD player IS my Home Theater System, so no worries, there. All is well. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom