Home Networking Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok tried that but still got the same problem. No connection whatsoever. It says it is connected and it sends packets but does not recieve.

The problem is not the network card. I tested it in the other computer at it works flawlessly. This problem really has me stumped. If you have advice please send it along. Thanks.

Yep I just tried that and got the same results. I think it just stoped working overnight. No one changed any settings or messed with it. And another strange thing happened. When I called up AT&T to try and get it to work the hard drived crashed as I was restarting it. But a few days later it began to work again. So who knows, definitly a strange problem, I don't know if the hard dirve crashing is related in any way.

Thanks for the tip. But that didn't change anything. It seems like it has got to be a hardware problem. Keep it coming.

What kind of router are you using? (Identifying this will give us the default IP address of the router, as different manufacturers use different addresses)...

IMPORTANT
What I would do, is connect the GOOD computer to the router, and get to the router's CONFIG page... Check to make sure that MAC ADDRESS FILTERING is NOT on, and if it is, make SURE that the 'bad' PC's MAC address is in the list. My bet based upon the symptoms is that MAC address filtering is enabled, and that is why you can't connect... (I actually had this happen to me a week ago when I got my fiancee a new laptop and couldn't for the life of me connect it to the network... lol.)

If that didn't solve the problem.... the do this... when the 'defective' computer is connected to the router (hopefully with a KNOWN GOOD cable) what output do you get when you perform an IPCONFIG command in a command window? (START > RUN > type 'CMD' > type 'IPCONFIG'
It is either going to be a 192.168.x.x or 169.254.x.x address depending on if the router has a default IP scheme, and if the computer can see the router or not.

Have you tried to un-install and re-install the NIC on the 'bad' PC?

Thanks for all your help guys. I finally got it to work just by adjusting the IP. I set up a laptop that worked on the same connection and then I just copied the numbers and it worked. So who knows why it refused to work any other way. Anyway I am glad its working now. I just knew it was going to be a really simple problem like this.

SFW516 said:
Thanks for all your help guys. I finally got it to work just by adjusting the IP. I set up a laptop that worked on the same connection and then I just copied the numbers and it worked. So who knows why it refused to work any other way. Anyway I am glad its working now. I just knew it was going to be a really simple problem like this.

you can't just copy all the numbers. you have to make sure that the actual IP address is different because if it isn't, when you have both computers on, one will not be able to connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom