Highjackthis and Ad-Aware won't run

Status
Not open for further replies.

BudClark

Solid State Member
I updated Ad-Aware to the latest version (8.1.0.0) and could not get it to run. I got a 'Failed to Connect' message. Apparently this is a fairly common problem. In trying to correct this using the Ad-Aware forum; Failed to Connect to Service - Lavasoft Support Forums Topic is BudC and responder is Casey; I found another problem: Programs such as Hijackthis will not run. I get a message as follows: 'Windows can't access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access file item.' Therefore I cannot get a HJT log to analyze. Can i get help?

BudClark

How do I do this? What is Vadmin? Hijack this will not run in safe mode.

BudClark

He meant Admin

Go to Start, run, type msconfig and press enter. Go to startup and click disable all, then recheck your antivirus and reboot.

Can you download, install and run Malwarebytes?

I uninstalled and reinstalled Hijackthis and I installed Malwarebytes but I cannot run them. I continue to get the message: 'Windows can't access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item'

Bud

try this

Solved: Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.

Causes: 1. the exe file was moved from other location.
2. The permissions have been changed.
Resolutions: 1. Right click on the executable and choose "Properties". Under the "General" tab, you may find an "Unblock" button. Click Unblock to enable access.

* Right-click on the EXE file and select Properties, then Security tab.
* Highlight Users/groups, click Advanced.
* Locate the Users/Groups Special Permissions line.
* Add these "Allow" attributes to give necessary right to run the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom