High End desktop is slower then lower end Laptop Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toasty411

Baseband Member
So this has baffled me for a while now, I've usually just ignored it but now its really annoying me.

I have an i7 920 desktop I built my self back in 2009 with 6GB of DDR3 and a Radeon 4870.

Its start up times and shutdown times are beat by my small ASUS G60JX with only a small i5, and 4GB of DD3.

They're both running Windows 7 Professional, I've tried narrowing it down to some kind of part on my desktop but if I were to use safe mode on the desktop its exceptionally fast.

Here is what I've done so far on my desktop to try and speed it up; I've disabled startup programs, fiddled with BIOS configuration settings, changed Windows 7's theme to classic, adjusted for best performance, new video drivers, motherboard drivers, SFC checks, HDD integrity check with Windows, and some other stuff that I can't remember right now, but its just always quirky and sometimes slow when it really shouldnt be. Right now in the taskbar it shows the network icon as if its searching for something but its frozen with the searching icon stuck, but the internet works just fine, sometimes explorer.exe freezes randomly. I've done virus scans as well but I reformat every 2 months or so because these problems keep annoying me.

The HDD's on the desktop are 1 500GB Sata HDD with 7200 RP, Windows 7 uses that as the primary drive, and a 1TB drive for dead space, I've heard that its better for drives of that size to be dead space instead of having the 500GB be dead space, otherwise the drive is always accessed and lowers the life expectancy.

The RAM is rated at 1600 but it runs at 1067 for some reason even though 1600 is selected, Speccy lists the memory running as 6.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 530MHz (7-7-7-20)

I'm A+ certified and I just don't understand, maybe someone else has some input or advice that could remedy this problem...

Did you run Antivirus, Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D? Also might want to defragment the drive with Defraggler.

I'm not A+ Cert (yet!), and I know more than you? :p j/k My exam on Practical Application is tomorrow. :| (I'll be fine)

2009 is your problem. When was the laptop purchased? More than likely the desktop just needs a clean install of windows. When was the last time it was formatted?

Did you run Antivirus, Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D? Also might want to defragment the drive with Defraggler.

I'm not A+ Cert (yet!), and I know more than you? :p j/k My exam on Practical Application is tomorrow. :| (I'll be fine)

I said in the post that I ran a few virus scans, haven't done Malwarebytes yet though, system stays very clean, a defrag wouldnt make that much difference on a 500GB drive when it has over 250GB free and it was recently reformatted....but I'll do it anyway when I get back home....

Hope you did well on the Practical, its not too bad, the second one is at about the same difficulty, remember that some questions give no points and to be sure to read through all of questions when you get to the end just to avoid any silly mistakes.

2009 is your problem. When was the laptop purchased? More than likely the desktop just needs a clean install of windows. When was the last time it was formatted?

Laptop was purchased in June 2010, I can't see 2009 being that big of a problem when the processor on the desktop trumps the i5.... I've done multiple clean installs of Windows all giving the same results...Last time it was formatted was February...

A clean install would work well. I'd also recommend checking out this page of prudent things you can do to get your PC to run smoothly: Ways to improve your computer's performance

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team

Did a clean install a few months agos, I'll check out the page thanks....

For some reason email notifications didnt come though so thats why i'm replying late...

It would be ill advised to disable all. That will disable your virus protection and leave you open for infection.

So when you say it's slow, is this actual windows or the boot process before windows even starts loading?

This is Windows, after the Windows is done with the login phase, its just very slow, nothing is responsive for about 2 minutes which is annoying.

try to clear up all start up programs.

start>msconfig.exe>start up> disable all

hope that helps

I guess I could try that, but right now I have almost everything disabled already, I only have a few things I really want started up, Skype, MSN, ATI CC, Dropbox.
It would be ill advised to disable all. That will disable your virus protection and leave you open for infection.

It would....

Update: Here is the process list with all of the items in MSCONFIG's startup disabled.

Explorer, froze for about 3 seconds, came back, firefox took about 30 seconds to load, I guess I'm expecting SSD type speeds but it seems like my laptop is able to just fine with a normal magnetic HDD....

Malwarebytes is doing a full scan now.

Well you have 3DMax Server running in both 32 Bit and 64 Bit modes. You have TeamViewer running. So you have some intensive things going at all times. Having a Server running from the machine as well as TeamViewer will cause it not to run as fast as it should cause it is already using up resources just running those full time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom