Hibernate or Turn Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairfieldfalconsfan

In Runtime
I am wondering if I should use hibernate or should I just use the turn off option? I thought I saw somewhere on these forums that you shouldn't hibernate but I am not sure exactly what they were talking about. Most of the time I hibernate my computer and then turn off my surge protector/battery backup and unplug it from the wall.

Most people I think would choose to turn off their PCs completely but hibernate works good as well. First you gotta understand what is hibernate, it's like taking a screenshot of your PC at that moment in time and shutting off. When you put it back on, it restores it back exactly as you turn it off. You should however shutdown your PC at least once a week or few days, just to clear the cache and memory.

The only problem you will run into is that many apps don't fully clear themselves out of RAM when you close them, and these memory leaks will build up over time. They will get written to your Hibernate file and be present when you comes out of hibernation.
Source

Oh and also, hibernate takes up physical space on your HDD as it has to save the settings of your PC before turning off to be restored again.

Neither, at least for me. I leave my computer running 24/7 and just turn off the monitors. I set all the power saving BS to never turn off (I like being in control).

No problem, glad we can help :). Take control sir!
_salute__by_tsemalon.gif

I hibernate my laptop, mainly because it shuts down and boots up faster from hibernation. I do full shut down every week to clear memory/cache, but I like being able to open my laptop, boot it up, and have everything ready to go right away.

Same. I Hibernate my laptop, and leave my Desktop on (the same as Trotter does - all power saving options off, and I just deal with turning off my monitors, etc).

I shut down my netbook. Ubuntu doesn't take long to load. ;)

I shut down my desktop at night. An SSD doesn't take long to load up Win 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom