hi im sarah umm how do i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short answer: try reseting your router.

Long answer: ISPs normally don't want you to be able to screw with your IP address for a number of reasons, and they tend to change it whenever they like (unless you have a special business type class connection). So, there is a chance, albeit a small one, that your old IP address will crop back up. Also, your hostname will remain the same, so if someone wants to trace you, like the RIAA, all they need is your hostname (and a subpoena).

Oh, and thread moved.

itz okay i wont do it, but a girl at my school is a mod at sex etc. forums (www.sxetc.org) and she banned me just bcos we fought at school but itz okay ill just register on a school computer ;)

Most cable companies assign a 24 hour lease to your ip address and is renewed only if your cable modem is connected when the lease expires. So if you left the modem off for more than their lease (24 hrs), you would change your IP address when the modem is restarted. I am not sure if all companies work this way but the three I have been with have always done it and the lease time is always 24 hrs.

evelmunkey said:
Most cable companies assign a 24 hour lease to your ip address and is renewed only if your cable modem is connected when the lease expires. So if you left the modem off for more than their lease (24 hrs), you would change your IP address when the modem is restarted. I am not sure if all companies work this way but the three I have been with have always done it and the lease time is always 24 hrs.

Wow thats very interesting, thank you I'll give that a try :bald:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom