help with firewire networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshnx

Baseband Member
after hearing about the 400 mpbs firewire i decided to buy the wire n check it out for myself...i have two toshiba laptops preinstalled with vista which ive switched to xp...so i connect the wire to the firewire ports of both laptops (like the camera mini cable wire) but nothing happens ...the 1394 connection is on as usual but no pings recieved or sent and repair says tcp ip not enabled...anyone have any luck wid firewire? ne drivers required?

well, first you have to close your eyes and pretend that the 1394 connection is really just ethernet. Because besides the cable and how data is transmitted over the cable, nothing else is different. You still have to set each PC with an IP address and subnet mask. The drivers you need are the ones for the 1394 adapter. You don't need any other special driver to get it to work. Running the networking wizard in windows is your best bet initially ... to get it working. Sure, i can say that I've done it before but the speeds aren't going to be what you hope they would be and the cable length limitations are worse.

i know how to setup a network....n ive done that ...i.e puttin ips yada yada..but i think it might be a problem either with the wire or the drivers since ive swithced to xp i need xp drivers...it shows the 1394 connection tho as always n its on but no ips sent or recieved ..thats what i want to know ...why;;;maybe its the wire only?

a 1394 adapter is a 1394 adapter, regardless if you are plugging it into another PC or a camera.. if you loaded XP and want to make sure that the adapter works properly, plug in a firewire device and see? Make sure that the device has proper drivers first by finding them for XP and installing them. You don't need anything special, just the typical on board driver or specs stating that the ports will work with XP and Vista.
Sure. it could be the wire too but without making sure that you are dealing with an adapter thats working properly, troubleshooting the integrity of a cable is pointless. As for your network settings, i only suggested that because you stated that you read an error stating that it wasn't enabled. So, you plugging in a couple of addresses within properties for tcp/ip that isn't enabled on an adapter doesn't fit well either.

1) make sure the adapter supports xp
2) make sure that you have your typical settings loaded and enabled for the adapter (should look just like local area connection properties for the most part)
3) plug the cable between the two
4) run the network wizard on both machines

It's really easy actually...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom