Help selecting ADSL2/2+ Modem Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Tenk-

Baseband Member
Hey Everyone,

So, I need some help possibly selecting a modem router. Seeing as my current internet (mobile broadband) bites the big one, we are looking at getting cable.

What should I look for?

Needs to be wireless with a couple of ethernet ports for my PC. Needs to be as cheap as possible and as fast as possible (both wireless and wired speeds).

Are there any brands I should avoid?

Here is where i'll be shopping:
MSY.com

Here are the potential ones I've found:

TP-LINK TD-W8901G-F Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router+4x10/100 Switch - $45.00

Netgear DGN2000 Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router - $104.00

ASUS WL-AM602 ADSL2 Modem Router 1 Port + USB - $51.00 (question with this one: would I be able to run a printer off of this?)

Billion 6200NXL Wireless-N 300M ADSL2+/3G Router+3x10/100MPorts+2 USB Ports - $98.00

I think this one might be the winner.... Because we might end up getting another mobile broadband (different carrier that sucks less). Would you be able to run ALL mobile broadband through this, irrespective of carrier? Or would different carriers with different USB receivers require different drivers to make the internet work?

Also, could you run a printer easily through this?

TP-LINK TD-W8960N Wireless-N 300M Modem Router+4x10/100 Switch - $65.00

Tenda W300D Wireless-N 300M ADSL2+ Modem Router + 4x10/100 Switch - $70.00

So, I'm leaning towards the Billion or Tenda routers. Suggestions, reason for a router, or against another are wanted! Thanks for all your help!

Cheers,
Tenk.

So, cable was super expensive (internet + line rental! ...highway thieves....). We ended up going with mobile broadband.

The Billion looks the goods. After some further research I think I might have answered my own question:

I said:
Would you be able to run ALL mobile broadband through this, irrespective of carrier? Or would different carriers with different USB receivers require different drivers to make the internet work?
No. It depends on the USB modem manufacturer. Incidentally Huawei seem to make the majority of USB modems here and the billion modem/router is compatable with quite a few. Easiest way to figure out if it is compatible, find out the model number of the modem and check the router site to see if the modem is listed as compatible. Incidentally, the one we scored IS :D . I believe "winning" is the term the kids are using these days.

I said:
Also, could you run a printer easily through this?
This is the interesting one. If I end up getting the billion router, i'll post back with how I went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom