[Help requested] Webcam not working on Yahoo Messenger with Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbius

Beta member
I have just installed the latest Yahoo Messenger (v.10) on a new Windows 7 (x64) platform, and I can't get my webcam to work. All I get when I try --> Messenger --> My webcam is a black screen. In other words, my webcam does not broadcast. My webcam seems to be correctly connected and installed on my PC with the latest drivers ("The device is working" ). And I can use my webcam with other applications, like Skype, on Windows 7, with no problems. I use a desktop PC with a USB webcam.

By the way, I can see the video image from the webcams of my YM contacts when I am in a video conversation with them. So, no problem the other way.

I have also tried to un-install/re-install both the webcam (Windows 7 re-installs it automatically) and YM. I have also tried the previous versions of YM (v.9 and v.8) I have also gone through all the camera settings in YM. But still no chance.

I have already searched the Net, and I found several other YM users reporting the same problem when they try to use their webcam with YM on Windows 7, but I could not find any solution.

Is there a well known problem related to the use of a webcam with YM on Windows 7 ?

Could someone help me ?

kmote is 110% correct. Since it is reported working in other applications it is NOT Win7 that is the problem but Yahoo that is. Does it work with Live Messenger, Aim, Trillian, Pidgin or any other IM Clients?

Many thanks for your prompt answers, kmote and Mak213. Really good feedback :thumbsup:

I am not familiar with those alternate IM clients you mentioned, Mak213 (except Live Messenger). Techsupportalert.com seems to say good things about Pidgin and Trillian so I will test one or both of them, depending on time. As I mentioned in my OP, the only other IM client I tried is Skype, and the webcam works.

I shall be back to report results of my testings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom