HELP!! PC will NOT stay On-Line !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmandu

In Runtime
My wife's work PC will NOT stay connected to the Internet. She has DSL service and the system has Windows XP.

There was an issue with ZoneAlarm awhile back that never really got resolved that I "think" maybe the source of the problem. That's ONLY a guess at this point.

ZA never was able to be loaded on the PC after Norton's AV was installed. Some portion of what WAS installed from ZA was blocking access to the Internet at that time.

I had to have a computer guru go into the Registry and "TRY" to fully remove ZA. Ever since then, the computer WILL go On-Line (right after a clean boot-up), but approximately (5) minutes or so later there will be NO access.

Strange thing is, the Email seems NOT to be effected. The Email works fine no matter how long the computer is on. It's only the Internet access that is being lost.

I was able to capture a HiJackThis Logfile from the PC this afternoon.

What's going on here ???

TIA!

-ERIC

Here's the Log below........

=============================================

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:09:44 PM, on 7/11/2006
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus 2004\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus 2004\SAVScan.exe
C:\Program Files\Speed Disk\nopdb.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX00.646\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://smbusiness.dellnet.com/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.msnbc.msn.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://rd.yahoo.com/customize/sbcydsl/defaults/sb/*http://www.yahoo.com/search/ie.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Verizon Online
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus 2004\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus 2004\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINNT\System32\ctfmon.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1138216662047
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Machine Debug Manager (MDM) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: MicroSoft Media Tools - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\MSmedia.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus 2004\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: Sandra Data Service (SandraDataSrv) - SiSoftware - C:\Program Files\SiSoftware\SiSoftware Sandra Lite 2005.SR2a\RpcDataSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Sandra Service (SandraTheSrv) - SiSoftware - C:\Program Files\SiSoftware\SiSoftware Sandra Lite 2005.SR2a\RpcSandraSrv.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus 2004\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Speed Disk\nopdb.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

=============================================

I don't see any problem with the Hijack log, is she connected to a router at home? If she has DSL service and a router she'll probably need to enter the PPPoE account and password information into the router correctly. She'll also want to check that she has the filter or splitter for the DSL line correctly installed also.

Try running this software http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

No router is In-Line. Straight DSL into the phone line.

It's weird because the DSL is obviously still staying connected since the Emails are NOT effected. ie...When the Browser is not connecting, Emails are still able to be sent/received.

It only loses connection on the Browser (IE BTW) and only after about (5) minutes or so.

Whenever a clean reboot is performed, the Browser connects OK (but only for about 5 minutes.)

:confused: :confused:

Did you try using the winsockxp software I provided above?
Yea, I gave it a shot last night and it didn't seem to help. :(

I also typed in "IPCONFIG" in the Run Window. A small window Popped up and disappeared as quickly as it showed up. I did notice that it was blank.

Still at square (1). :(

Any more ideas ?? :confused:

You have to open up command prompt first by typing in cmd in run and then type ipconfig /all

Can you download and use Firefox or another browser?

You have to open up command prompt first by typing in cmd in run and then type ipconfig /all
Ok... I'll go try that now.

I'll try and download FireFox as well and report back the results. ;)

Got the ipconfig/all window to pop-up. Couldn't find a way to Copy/Paste (yet)....:confused:

Downloaded FireFox with the same result as IE.

Email still NOT effected at all. Still works fine. Just the Browser's lose connection after 4-5 minutes.... :confused: :confused:

I had this exact problem, and I managed to fix it! However, I really can't remember how I did so... :cyclopes: I will try and remember, and get back to you on that one.

Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom