Help!!!! My notebook is possessed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jm22876

Solid State Member
I have a compaq presario 1700 notebook. I got the sasser worm. I decided to format and reinstall. ( It was overdue anyway) I tried to reinstall windows...no go...the setup program said it could not copy some "dll" files and windows setup cannot continue. So then I tried My win 2000 disk thinking it might be the Xp disk that was bad...same problem. Then I used a dos bootable disk and I formatted my hard drive using fdisk... then I cleared my master boot record using fdisk...then I unplugged the battery and power cord (for 15 minutes) in case the virus was in ram. Then I tried to reinstall my os and I have the same problem. I thought I took all the right steps to clear the pc of the virus but I guess I was wrong. Any Ideas on how I can get the os to load and/or get rid of the virus would be truly appreciated.

did your windows XP disc come with your notebook??
if so that is the problem. its an OEM disc and you can't re-install windwos with it. Otherwise its a bad disc.....
Sorry i can't offer anything good!!!!

I bought windows xp separately. The notebook originally came with windows me

Windows didn't like the memory upgrade I installed...switched back to the original configuration... windows installed like a charm. Who would have thought it was a hardware issue all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom